Land Rovers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Land Rovers

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I recently "built" my own Land Rover Freelander online and the MSRP was actually way lower than that of my Explorer. Curious, I visited my local Land Rover dealer to look at a Freelander. Looked kind of cool, and the salesman of course spoke of it's excellent SUV qualities. The main question I had for him was: "Why don't I see many Freelanders on the road"? He really couldn't answer. I don't even see very many Discoverys driving around. Do people just not like Land Rover, or is it something specifically with the Freelander or Discovery?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personaly like the Discovery and we did look at them before buying our Jeep. I think the reason you dont see a lot of them is because they are kinda expensive and its a love it or hate it look. The freelander is smaller and less powerful than the Explorer, not to mention that it doesnt have a 4low setting. And if Im not mistaken it is the first Land Rover with IFS.

"Why don't I see many Freelanders on the road"?

They are horribly unreliable.

Mike

Well as someone from where they are made and there are plenty on the road here, some pointers.

Freelander:

Small engine and no low ratio. Not very reliable. Basically a heap.

Discovery:

Very tinny with thin panels. Not the best of british. As above.

Range Rover:

Solid but very pricey. The 4.6 engines suffer from thin cylinder walls and are prone to break.

Enough said.

Thats why I bought a Ford Explorer. :D

They're great until about 30,000 miles. After that, sell it b/c the problems are comming.

Originally posted by Howard

Range Rover:

Solid but very pricey. The 4.6 engines suffer from thin cylinder walls and are prone to break.

To start with, Range Rovers don't have that antiquated 4.6 anymore. They're built with BMW's 4.4 liter V8, same as came in the 5 and 7 series. It has that engine because the model plans were finalized before Ford bought Land Rover. I've heard that it costs Ford more to buy that engine from BMW then it does for them to produce an entire Mustang.

Lots of you guys are forgetting the simplest explanation for the original question. We don't see a lot of Rovers because they're not a mass produced, mass market vehicle like a Ford. Its more of a niche market and it does very well in that area I think. I see plenty of Discos here at school, not as many as Explorers but there's probably 30 of them running around, and a couple new Range Rovers and Freelanders. And I don't know how any off road guy could not like a Defender 90...mmm those are awesome.

They are ugly.

Back