Largest 17" tire which fits into spare location. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Largest 17" tire which fits into spare location.

Phisherman

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4.0 4x4
I just upgraded my size to 265/70-17 and was able to fit A Yokohama Geolander AT into the spare location after some wrangling. I was going to get 265/65-17 but they had no used spare.:thumbsup:

Some 75 series or larger may fit but the price seems drastically higher for those. And the Conversion chart I have says they are taller {255/75-17}

you have to get the same height spare as the tires you run, and you can fit up to a 32 inch tire in the spare location...

Hello, I am running a 255 75 17 (32") Goodyear Wrangler SR-A as the spare and there is no way to get it in the spare tire well without deflating it some. I always have an air compressor so I am not concerned about filling back up. I have read elsewhere as well that a 32" tire would fit in the spare tire location but no one mentioned deflating them. To make things more interesting the four other tires are also 32" but Wrangler Duratracs so they have a chunkier tread and my eyecrometer says they are larger than the Wrangler SR-A so I hesitate to make the spare the same model since I had trouble making it fit in there. I have two questions. 1) Is there any harm to the tire by deflating it some and then stuffing it in to the spare tire location. Will it inflate normally and not get a flat spot when I need it a year or two from now? 2) Am I doing something wrong if I have to deflate it to make it fit in there? Any others with 32" spares have any tips or similar experiences?

Back