Leaking coolant from water pump area? Check bypass hose first! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking coolant from water pump area? Check bypass hose first!

A.J.C.

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited V8
Applicable to 5.0 Explorers.

I thought my water pump was leaking but it turned out to be the bypass hose that goes from the water pump to thermostat housing. My water pump needed to be changed out anyway but I didn't notice the hose was split until I thought my new pump was leaking.

I'm sure its been noted before but just wanted to give you all a heads up. Since the split was facing away from me, I didn't see it until completely removing it.

DE3B23D4-3DFA-4405-9617-CAAF2A974486_zpscvcm2ah2.jpg

How hard is it to replace the water pump? I have a 97 Mercury Mountaineer

Disclaimer: since you posted this in a thread about the 5.0L engine, I am assuming that's your case.
In theory, it's a simple operation: drain radiator, remove serpentine belt, remove fan, r&r pump. With the right tools, probably no more than a couple hours for the average shade tree mechanic. You may get lucky, but many have encountered rusty bolts, and those these bolts go through the timing cover to the block. If one of those breaks, you are removing the timing cover, and that's where the fun begins.
There are many posts here on the subject. The search function is your friend. Best of luck!
How hard is it to replace the water pump? I have a 97 Mercury Mountaineer

Back