leaning '96

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Hi guys,

I have a '96 ex that leans on the left rear. After reading a few threads on this subject I have :

Checked the front ride height ( level from left to right )

Replaced the left rear spring with a newer one from a junk yard with less miles. ( no effect, sits 2in lower in left rear)

Swapped the springs from left to right ( got the lean down to 1 in. in the left rear)

At this point I am not sure what to try next. I have thought about adding a 4th spring to the leaf pack on the left but am not sure how I would get the center pin long enough to reach the axle ( top side looks like a pin, bottom side looks like a bolt with a nut )

Has anybody done this before, have 4 leafs on one side and 3 on the other ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,

I have a '96 ex that leans on the left rear. After reading a few threads on this subject I have :

Checked the front ride height ( level from left to right )

Replaced the left rear spring with a newer one from a junk yard with less miles. ( no effect, sits 2in lower in left rear)

Swapped the springs from left to right ( got the lean down to 1 in. in the left rear)

At this point I am not sure what to try next. I have thought about adding a 4th spring to the leaf pack on the left but am not sure how I would get the center pin long enough to reach the axle ( top side looks like a pin, bottom side looks like a bolt with a nut )

Has anybody done this before, have 4 leafs on one side and 3 on the other ?

1" - 3/4" is kind of within spec I believe. Do you have a full tank of gas?

about 1/2 tank...

They put the gas tank on the driver side... In time that weakens that side leafs.
Are the shocks on the back all right? I am thinking that one might get "stuck" at that height...
You might use a longer shacke on the side you want to increase the ride. Or just a block with new U bolts - all are sold at parts stores...

The shock seem to be ok, they are only 5 years old.

The block idea would be ok, but how do you run the pin threw the leafs and into the axle ? Is this just a bolt ?

Back