led display gone out. . did i screw up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

led display gone out. . did i screw up?

bigtime57

Reaction score
City, State
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
i have a 99 eb explorer with a mach one cd/tape radio and my display was doing the peek a boo with me and i read up on how the solder might have broken loose on the display so i pulled the front off and sure enough the first 2 solders wasnt touching the board so i resoldered them. .fixed the led!!! worked fine. . .then yesterday just out of the blue it went out! the led went completely out! nothing! blank! the radio and stuff still works fine and all the other buttons light up fine. . but today i was reading about the board in the main radio part that was the prob. . .did i screw up by soldering those two prongs? or could that have been part of my prob before but now the board in the radio be the problem now??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99 with the same factory system. Took it to the dealer a few days before warranty expired with same problem (display on HU out). Dealer said that they were having a fair amount of probs with the Mach HU and they replaced it. Don't know if that helps.

had mine fixed...lasted 10 mins :fire: ...deal with it :D ..or look for 1 that works or go aftermarket...... :thumbsup:

what aftermarket?

badazz89lx said:
had mine fixed...lasted 10 mins :fire: ...deal with it :D ..or look for 1 that works or go aftermarket...... :thumbsup:

What type of aftermarket stereo will work best with my 99 Mountaineer? I have a CD changer and went into Circuit City the other day. They told me that my changer would be non-functional if I change out my stereo!
Is this true?!?!

The Mach radios were made by a different company than the other factory HU's. Unless you like fighting the problem, plus money, replace it with the other Premium factory HU. There are repair places on Ebay offering repairs, or trade ins to the other radios. Good luck,

i have a pdf on how to fix display if any one can host it i can email it to them!

i bought my 98 xlt with the lights out on the factory HU i swapped the board with the guy at that sharememory.com listed above for $80...it has been a year and a half and still going strong...highly recommended and easy to do replace the board...

Back