OEM Cd Radio blank/dim/intermittent display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Cd Radio blank/dim/intermittent display

boxer1

Reaction score
City, State
Summerville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Limited
Hi,

I'm new the forum,but have 'surfed' it often. I've found some good help here. I owned a 92 Eddie B Explorer for 8 years and found some good fixes for it. I now have a 1999 Explorer Limited...love it.

My Limited developed a blank radio display(initially dimmed out and came back). I tried to get it fixed locally with no luck...just not enough money in it I guess. Being a Electronics Test Equipment Technician myself, I decided to research the problem..long story short..I fixed my radio myself. it's been going for a year now. I've learned a lot about these radio displays...mainly they had a bunch of poor solder joints. I've learned as I've repaired these for friends. I decided to start repaireing them and make a little fun money. I repair these displays for $40.00 plus shipping.

Fixing these radio displays is tedious. If you're not VERY, VERY good at de-soldering and soldering don't attemt it yourself. The board has surface mount components the size of match heads. you really have to scour the board and look for potential problems...and fix them correctly. I desolder every solder joint on the board and resolder them. I haven't had any come back yet.

Thanks for your time.

Back