Led headlights

Digitalgp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
Wanted to share here. Did my first mod on the ‘15 xlt. Being compared to the factory lights on my old ‘07 Limited & the halogen projectors on my ‘12 fusion the lighting output was weak and I needed to upgrade. I have done a number of hid swaps, however the first one I did with plastic ballasts melted on me after only a couple months. Luckily for that instance I was able to find a replacement set with metal ballasts. After not being able to find a suitable hid set with metal ballasts for this one I started doing research into an led conversion. I was a bit skeptical at first because of all the kits out there with poor output and concerns about the light out notification popping up due to the lower wattage. I came across the sealight led conversion which from what I’ve read seemed decent and didn’t cause any issues. I purchased this kit off amazon which was on sale at the time https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079KB8J98/?tag=serious-20

Installation was as easy as swapping the bulbs out. Compared to the stock halogens I wouldn’t say it’s a huge difference in terms of useable output, but it is a little brighter and the white light helps to make the road more visible and not strain my eyes which is enough to make me happy. Beam pattern seems to be the same as the halogens. It did not make the bulb notification come up either. If I were to do it again I’d look for something brighter, but seems there are limitations to the light output due to the design of these housings & the fact its already a 9005 bulb which is generally for high beams. For now I am content and still believe for the price it was still worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wanted to share here. Did my first mod on the ‘15 xlt. Being compared to the factory lights on my old ‘07 Limited & the halogen projectors on my ‘12 fusion the lighting output was weak and I needed to upgrade. I have done a number of hid swaps, however the first one I did with plastic ballasts melted on me after only a couple months. Luckily for that instance I was able to find a replacement set with metal ballasts. After not being able to find a suitable hid set with metal ballasts for this one I started doing research into an led conversion. I was a bit skeptical at first because of all the kits out there with poor output and concerns about the light out notification popping up due to the lower wattage. I came across the sealight led conversion which from what I’ve read seemed decent and didn’t cause any issues. I purchased this kit off amazon which was on sale at the time https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079KB8J98/?tag=serious-20

Installation was as easy as swapping the bulbs out. Compared to the stock halogens I wouldn’t say it’s a huge difference in terms of useable output, but it is a little brighter and the white light helps to make the road more visible and not strain my eyes which is enough to make me happy. Beam pattern seems to be the same as the halogens. It did not make the bulb notification come up either. If I were to do it again I’d look for something brighter, but seems there are limitations to the light output due to the design of these housings & the fact its already a 9005 bulb which is generally for high beams. For now I am content and still believe for the price it was still worth it.

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I have been on the lookout for a similar setup and I will give this a try too. Happy New Year!:party:

I meant to ask.... did you have to cut out the rubber seal to make these fit? Or do they seem to run hot if you didn't?

jsgoofn, your welcome. For the price I don’t think they can be beat especially when you consider silverstars run around the same price.

The bulbs fit perfectly in the housing, however you do have to cut the back rubber cap to make room for the wire going to a very small ballast. I haven’t taken notice if the bulbs throw off any heat. I can’t imagine it being anywhere near as much as the halogens.

jsgoofn, your welcome. For the price I don’t think they can be beat especially when you consider silverstars run around the same price.

The bulbs fit perfectly in the housing, however you do have to cut the back rubber cap to make room for the wire going to a very small ballast. I haven’t taken notice if the bulbs throw off any heat. I can’t imagine it being anywhere near as much as the halogens.
That's good to know about the rubber cap. I know there are those caps out there that have a extended section to accommodate the space needed so I may get a set of those.

Thanks for the good info!

I meant to ask.... did you have to cut out the rubber seal to make these fit? Or do they seem to run hot if you didn't?

I added the same bulbs to my '14 Sport and did not have to cut the rubber seal on the back of the housing. With some patience, you can get the new LED bulb wiring tucked into the housing. Also, I have checked my bulbs after a period of extended usage and they do not seem to run hot.

I am also very pleased with the light output. Much better lighting and saved me from going with a HID conversion kit. Beam pattern mimics the factory output and passing vehicles do not get blinded.

Actually after looking at the link above, the lights I used are slightly different. They are also made by Sealight, but I believe put out more light based upon the specs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CX18517/?tag=serious-20
Thanks for the update on the bulbs you used. I had already ordered the ones you mentioned earlier but I can easily return them to Amazon. I will order the ones in the link. Makes sense that you get better light from the more expensive ones. I also found a $20 off coupon on Amazon when I ordered the new ones - so - win - win!

By the way, have you swapped out your fog lights?
I have swapped out my fog lights. They look good too, with the light matching the color output of the headlights. But the gain in usable light to aid driving is negligible if you ask me.

I have swapped out my fog lights. They look good too, with the light matching the color output of the headlights. But the gain in usable light to aid driving is negligible if you ask me.
You think like I do...I was not looking for output so much as having them look the same as the headlights. Thanks again.

I didn’t spend much time trying to fiddle around with the wiring and ballasts trying to get them to fit. Was afraid of breaking something.

Those other sealights look to be a better option. Like the old saying goes you get what you pay for

Back