• Register Today It's free!

LED help?

JoeCoolTM

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
so im pretty new to all of this, and usually my stepdad does the car stuff around here but he doesnt wanna help me so i can learn, which is good, anyways! lol i wanna do a LED conversion to my cluster and i use superbrightleds.com and i see many that can replace 194's but all look very different can anyone please tell me which would be compatible for '99 XLT?
thank you!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they all fit if they are 194 just a lot of them have different bulbs that angle differently for the projection of the light. All in all, they do the same job especially if your gonna be putting them in the cluster

so on that site, not only just the lights, but i would buy the wedge based sockets right?

THis should also be brought to your attention. If you plan on switching the cluster to lets say blue you will have to take apart the cluster and remove the guage face. After 98 i believe they put a green film on the back side of the face gauges so they appear green no matter what.
As far as the wedge ones go you will want the type that have atleast 5 leds per bulb (thats what was recommened to me). Or you can make your own which i am planning on doing since i am switching to blue leds. I couldnt find blue leds premade that shined as bright as i would like so i bought single leds on ebay and assemble them that way. I also heard of a few people who used the wedge bulbs that they had a few of the single leds die on them. I am not sure if they just got a faulty bulb or what.

Good luck with the install and post some pictures once your done.

this is what i did. i used a cluster from a 97 explorer. it dose have a blue tint to it. i used leds like these ones
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190289218050&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009 .
you might have to shave some off the sides for them to slide into the cluster because the bulbs are a tiny bit bigger then the holes. as for which ones that you are going after in the cluster itself, if you take the gauge cluster out, you will see some different "plugs" for the lights on the back side. some are white, black, and you might have some grey ones. you want the black ones (or the bigger ones). you just turn them, and they come out. you then pull the bulb out of the socket, and replace it with your led. you do have to watch though because leds have polarity and bulbs dont. meaning that the led has a positive and negative side. if you don't have them in the correct polarity, they will not light up. if you do use the older gauges with led's they come out looking very blue (i know i like mine).

the things that you ordered buy the looks of it are gauge overlays. your shifter will still be the factory color, but your overlays will be what ever color it was that you ordered.

Another question -- is there any way to brighten the display mine is very dim.

Back