Lets do 4.56 Gears on this 4.0L 06'.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lets do 4.56 Gears on this 4.0L 06'..

Ok order going in... Got pricing for install about $800 CAD.

rebuild kits are as follows:
front: YK-D30-SUP
rear: YK-F8.8-IRS-SUV

I must say ... rebuild kits (includes shims, gaskets, bearings, seals, etc) are pretty steep. Like almost $300 for the rear and $280 for front. Not what I was expecting. My shop is looking into what they can source as I probably don't need things like the diff cover gasket and they would have lots of shims in stock. I'm sure bearings are pretty standard too...

Keep you all posted. Pics to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got the truck dropped off today....

I got a bit lazy after getting frustrated with wiring some other mods, so I'm letting them do the tear down and re-install as well as the Yukon parts installation. That way I'll get all the warranty support too as they will fill fluids etc.

keep you posted. Should have it back Wednesday :)

pss. I supercharged it to almost 10psi yesterday too. Took the maiden voyage over to the truck shop with a starter tune (not yet dialed in by dyno since there is no 4wheel dynos around.... and holy s&&$@*... this things actually FAST!. hahah. the gears will make this truck an animal :burnout:

How are those 4.56's treating you?

Well I've towed a 5k lb trailer almost 10k in total since the last post and gears are still great :)

The limited slip has been fun too especially bin winter. I turned off the advance Trac and used my brown wire mod to deactivate the AWD clutch so I have just the limited slip rear end on daily driving. it makes for fun drifting in snow :)

Nice!
We have 30" tires, a 5R55E and a 3,700GVW trailer - need something to help with the towing for sure!
My math said 4.56, but "the charts" say it's too much - just to account for my tire change is 4.30 alone, so - 4.56 it is!

Nice.

I do find the gearing a bit high in the rpm for highway driving with 32.5" tires. But overall I'm really happy with them. The limited slip really helps the offroad capability too.

Does anyone know if the 3rd gen gears will fit in the 4th gen carrier? I’m wanting to swap the 3rd gen track lock setup into a 4th gen carrier. I’ve got a 1972 Datsun 240z with a tube mount IRS kit that bolts the 4th gen carrier in. I won’t be able to use the traction control (drivetrain is an LS3 TR6060) so I want to use the 3rd gen track lock. Any info is greatly appreciated. Posting here since it seems like there are a lot of folks with some good info on 8.8 IRS’s.

Cheers!

Any gear supplier should be able to tell you. I believe the carrier internals are quite standard (same as mustang etc) and the suppler could look these up and confirm... but the clam shell itself is very specific to the explorer since its mounting points to the frame vary (i.e. earlier model explorers only have 3 bolt bolt to frame locations instead of 4 on the 06).

My guess is there is a good chance the internals are the same... Let us know if they are :)

Back