• Register Today It's free!

Lift for a 98 2WD X-Sport

JoKKer

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Anyone know of any good ways to lift a 98 2WD X-Sport. i just want to get a few more inches than stock height. i'm doing this on a limited budget (what ever the wife says i can spend), and want to keep the cost as low a possible. I can do all of the labor and things myself. I don't mind getting dirty. Anyway, the one thing i don't want is a body lift. so any suggestions other than that.

I'm new to the site but i love my X-plorer and will probably be buried in it. :) so i'll be around here quite a-bit. i already have some new ideas just by hanging around here. thanks for the great site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!! You'll find everything you wanted to know and more about your Explorer right here. Welcome aboard!!

About the lift...unfortunately, there isn't much to choose from in the way of suspension lifts for 95 and newer Explorers. However, there are some options I'll try to highlight:

If all you are looking for is less than 2 inches, then cranking the torsion bars up a bit for the front and adding the "Warrior" Products (WAR-153) "shackles" or "Explorer Pro Comp" "add-a-leafs" to the rear will yield about a 1.5" - 2" lift. The "torsion twist" is free (do yourself) and the shackles or add-a-leafs will each run you about $50. Plus you'll need $$$ for a front end alignment, but overall, pretty cheap anmd easy way to lift. MANY people on this board are running this way and there is even a tech article here: http://www.explorer4x4.com/torsionbars.html

For a little more money and time, "Explorer Pro Comp" (www.explorerprocomp.com) has a 3" "spindle lift" that "SCEXPLORER" used to lift his 97 Sport. Coupled with 4" "Trailmaster" leaf springs and a 1.25" Torsion twist (mentioned above), he managed to get 4" of lift. Here's the thread:
Dead Link Removed

Still for a little more money, I believe that both "Trailmaster" and "Superlift" have 4" full suspension lifts for 98+ Explorers. Here's an example:
Dead Link Removed
If you don't install the lift yourself, the install costs might get a bit pricey.

I hope this helps some. If you want more information about any of the things I mentioned, then you should try a search for some of the words I put in quotes. You'll get plenty of hits because this topic is discussed regularly here.

I was going to give advice but you said it all stephen. Ok bye.

Ray, I didn't mean to step on your toes man. I apologize. I was hoping you would see this thread and provide more advice from the guy who actually did it. No hard feelings??

No hard feelings. i didn't mean it that way. I was actually surprised that you new my stuff. Thanks for giving him advice. Its all good.

Cool Ray, I'm glad you weren't upset. I knew your stuff because I like what you did to your truck :) and would really like mine to look like that!!

Back