• Register Today It's free!

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

Walkaway0911

Reaction score
City, State
Statesville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
Just bought a project 91 4x4 explorer today! $1000 :usa: Basically got a steal on it...yes it runs LMAO!!! I think it needs new U-joints for the 4x4 but will fix ASAP probably this week!

First line of modifications for me is going to be a lift kit along with swampers.

This is similar to what I want mine to look like when it is finished:
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/exp...-Offroad-Photos/Josh-s-1991-Ford-Explorer.htm

I noticed he has 42's I Like the size and there in my price range; I REALLY Like the rim he has on the truck...I have no idea what type of rim that is or what brand...so I need help from you explorer pro's on a rim that would be a good fit for 42's that looks similar to that and what else I will need to buy to install this type of tire and rim safely. I also want to make sure that my drive train works well after I install the tire's so any heads up would be greatly appreciated! I was also thinking about installing a 6" lift kit? Any recommendations on the brand...I want to install a lift kit that keeps the vehicle stable while running? How to's? Etc.

Also should I go ahead and change to a manual hub vs auto??? Does it matter?? Should I wait until I buy the tires or is it all standard?

This is going to be my first project vehicle wish me luck!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure as to exactly what those rims are but I have just bought myself a set of mickey thompson classic ii's, they are of a similar style to the rims in the pic. Good luck with the build!:thumbsup:

we all would like to be there somewhere in that area!

can't wait to see how yours progresses!

Thanks for the idea on the II's...those look sharp!!! If I was to buy them what size rim should I go with on this explorer with the tire I want?

Anyone have a lift kit they recommend installing...things to install so lift kit works properly?

what is it that your looking for......... mallcrawling or offroading?

Skyjacker would be a good lift, they got an 8" but on a TTB suspension it's iffy. Any tire much over 35's and your looking at busting things in the front end.

He SAS that thing, to get those 42's to roll. REGEAR your axles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Definitely swap out the auto hubs for manual hubs. for wider tires a 15x10 wheel with a 3.75BS
GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

I would say if you are looking at anything over a 35" tire, you should skip all the trail and error and just do a SAS in the front with an axle that can handle the tire you want to run and a SOA in the back with a matching axle to the front. before you even look at rims.

what happens if you go with six lug axle because you can get them cheap? but you bought five lug rims?

get the set up first, then choose rims and rubber to fit what you are putting in the truck.

X3...
To do what you are wanting you will need to do a solid axle swap in the front (SAS) with at least a Dana 60 (maybe a d44 if all you are doing is mall crawling and getting groceries). You will want to have a tire size in mind to know much to lift it with the SAS, but wheels are probably the last thing to be thinking right now. You will also need to re-gear the axles to somewhere around 4.88-5.13 with that size tire.

I just want to use this for muddin and bad winter days. Muddin is where the problems will mainly occur.

Thanks for the idea of an axle swap first before even looking at rims. Now when you go about buying a new axle do you go to the junk yard or is this something to buy online? Newbie here!

I saw some Dana 60's on ebay...not cheap...some where from heavy duty trucks???

Tire size in mind is 42. How high should I lift it with these tires if I did put on dana 60's? What other modifications should I note if I do the SAS? Is this SAS only in the front? What about the rear axle?

Awesome link lots of great information there!!! Looks like a Dana 44 with the 38's may be more up my alley...Dana 60 may be overhaul for me.

I still can't figure out why no one is talking about the rear axle? Will I need to change it out also?

If you go with a full width axle then you'd need to swap the rear end or run spacers (i'd swap a 9" in).

What is your fabrication ability? Can you weld?

Can I weld - No

Do I have a good friend who can for free - Yes :D

Why swap vs. just putting spacers on? Spacers seem so much easier...what is a 9" ?

spacer are just another weak link that could break if on the trail.

I have my Dana44 front axle sitting in the garage right now for my swap. I'm in the process of locating a 9" rear axle to replace my 8.8 axle so I have matching lug patterns front and back.

Spacers like these are pretty reliable, i'm not talking the stuff they sell at the autozone haha.

http://www.amazon.com/Offroad-OK-WA312-Off-Road-Wheel-Adapters/dp/B003FXFESW

Why swap instead of spacers? Strickly stock the 8.8 and 9" are similar in strength. But the 9" has a bigger aftermarket and can be strengthened considerably more. It also has the correct lug pattern. You also can easily have just as much in the 8.8 with the regear as the 9" and a used 3rd member with the correct gearing already setup. My 9" cost 75 bucks, 3rd was 200 with 5.14's and a full spool, disk conversion can then be done for another 100 bucks if you build it yourself. Up to you. I like my 9".

Do yourself a favor, slow down, and read through as many of the sas threads in the registry as you can.

the 9" diff will also carrier the tone ring out of the 8.8 axle. so if you plan on keeping all the ABS brake system working ( like I am planning on doing ) the installation of the tone rings is very simple.

I already have a third member sitting in the garage from another axle that I converted in my old 1990 f-150

This all sounds like its a little out of your experience range.sas for the front is very expenses and same for the rear,talking thousands and thousands of dollars.don't even think about lift kits till you buy least axles and your need d60 for that size,then you need to start worring about that a4ld.if your set on going BIG i would stick to d44/9" and a 38-40inch tire range,will save you thousands of dollars

I would never suggest running tires bigger than 37s on a D44 except maybe on a mall crawler (which even the stock D35 could handle as well with a couple fairly cheap mods).

I have to agree with slowing waaaayyy the hell down here, and thinking out what exactly it is you want out of your truck. A 4-6" lift, lockers in the stock axles and a set of 35x12.50 tires will get you a lot further than you may realize. To jump straight in with tons and 42s I think is asking for nothing but frustration and an unfinished project at this stage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to agree with these guys. figure out exactly what you want to use the truck for, then design your upgrades modular so that each dollar/hour spent will have a marked improvement towards that goal.

If you want a mall crawler then do what you want. You won't break much if your tires never drop off the pavement.
Thick sticky mud will be best with the big gnarly tires and axles.
Hills and rocks you need a low center of gravity.

Based on the little I know of your area, you have lots of hills, some rocks, a little mud by the creeks and rivers, and not much sand. (is that correct?)
With that in mind, especially the hills, keep your truck as low as possible with lots of articulation in the suspension. 33s and lockers will take you most of the places you shouldn't go. 4" is all you need for 33s, 2.5" if you trim/wide fenders and have proper backspacing on your rims.
A 2" body lift and 2" springs will actually have a lower center of gravity than 4" springs 'cause the motor and tranny stay 2" closer to the ground, and it has the benefit of being cheap. There is a trade off of less possible articulation.

Besides that, with a rig like what you are dreaming about, to build it alone is going to be a PIA. then you are going to have to tweak it a lot to get it right. And of course other things will break because of the mods. Anything past 33s or 34s with lockers and you really start to tax the rest of the drive train, regardless of the axles.

Take your time, plan it right, make your dollars and time count. Don't get swept up in the $100K rigs. They get stuck and break too.

Back