• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate door ajar switch

mcompton1973

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
dunno yet
I tried a search and found plenty about door ajar, but not the liftgate specifically.

It's my mother-in-laws 2008 explorer.
One day I popped the back glass and put in groceries and the liftgatge ajar came on in the dash. I have opened and closed it a hundred times since then, can not get it to go out. Wiper on the rear also does not work and dome lights stay on and drains battery.

Bought a replacement switch at Auto-Something and wondered if there are any write ups or how to's on replacing that. (where is it? etc?)

Generally I just use the parts diagram from the parts site to find the location and figure out what has to come off to get to it.

just a speculation but on all the newer electrical i have played around with the ajar switches twist into the latch mechanism... the trim on the liftgate is very easy to remove and there are bolts holding it in from the top where the striker is attached..... what does the replacement switch look like...... when the rear window is open is automatically stops the wiper..... my back window decides to just pop open when ever the time is at its worst and I can check if its closed with the rear wiper switch.... you can save the battery by turning the light dimmer switch all the way until it clicks

Back