• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate Hinges

rayman051

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT
Help-somehow while trying to adjust my liftgate side to side I managed to screw up the gapping at the top and sides. There is about a 1inch gap at the top when closed. I managed to bend the top of the liftgate. Are the hinges messed up or can I adjust the hinge to body effectively? Anybody have this problem?

why were you adjusting it in the first place ?

If it was not hit in any sort of way the hinges should be fine.

The best way to adjust the hinges is with the shocks removed. Yes I know the hatch is heavy as a *****, but the force of the shocks will push on the lift gate, likely in a way you dont want it to go. I also remove the strikers when doing this as well. Once the gate is dead center and opens and closes well then I add both shocks, recheck the fit. If that is good than I add one strkier at a time getting that correctly adjusted before I add the other strkier.

I was being **** about 1/4 in. difference side to side. Big mistake!!!! Because of that I screwed everything up. I'll give your way a try and hope for the best. Thanks alot.

Lift Gate Adjustment

Have you solved the problem with the crack at the top of the lift gate after attempting to adjust it? I am having the the very same problem after I attempted to adjust the door on my wife's 99 Explorer. Any imformation would be greatly appreciated.

Back