Limited grille on Eddie? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited grille on Eddie?

I have never noticed a painted Mountaineer grille in the junkyard. All have been chrome. You have a pic of one @CDW6212R ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never noticed a painted Mountaineer grille in the junkyard. All have been chrome. You have a pic of one @CDW6212R ?

I think the grille on the Mountaineer Premier (sister to the Explorer Limited) model was painted body color.

001.jpg

002.jpg

They came in 2000 and 2001, a medium blue and the odd green(pale) color. I got the ugly green version on eBay a while ago. The blue trucks look really good that way, I'm obviously going to paint mine the dark red.
2000Grille.JPG
Mounty 2002+ emblem.JPG
cowl_1l.jpg

Ugh, guys, you're making me hurt with all of these cool grilles. I need all kinds of little parts I could find at a junkyard like those, (fog lights, wiper arm cover, grille, passenger wiper, hubcaps) but we don't have any junkyard car lots anywhere near me :(

I've got a Limited grille out a 95 here for my 01, gotta plastidip it and put it in, I also have a 99 Limited grille, a chrome stock one, and a Mountaineer one, I have a style for every occasion
What exactly is plastidip? I heard so much about it, I just don't know what it is, is it like spray paint?

What exactly is plastidip? I heard so much about it, I just don't know what it is, is it like spray paint?

Plastic-dip is a plastic film that's floated on water. It can be any color or pattern you like. Then you part is "dipped" in the film and it transfers to your part. The result are quite amazing. Carbon fiber, camo and wood grains are popular patterns.

Plastic-dip is a plastic film that's floated on water. It can be any color or pattern you like. Then you part is "dipped" in the film and it transfers to your part. The result are quite amazing. Carbon fiber, wood grains and camo are popular patterns.

I don't recall the context of the post where plastidip is mentioned, but I think of that as the old product used for coating tool handles. That stuff was a thick rubbery product that came in bright colors like red/blue/yellow etc. I've heard of people doing bigger items with it but hadn't seen any of it.

For the surface treatment of things that you can dip or coat, that is called hydrographics. I have a few trim pieces in my truck that I had done. Mine looks like carbon fiber, and I was part of the group buy here over ten years ago, with a company called Phoenix Imaging. That was expensive, and I was quoted $0.56 per square inch for doing more items. I love the effect, it's very popular for almost anything that can be sanded or cleaned well, dipped, and then they paint over it with a clear paint. I wanted to do a few other things, but I never got to it, and the company disappeared IIRC.

Below is someone else's truck I kept a picture of.

14802Interior-001-med.jpg

Plastic-dip is a plastic film that's floated on water. It can be any color or pattern you like. Then you part is "dipped" in the film and it transfers to your part. The result are quite amazing. Carbon fiber, camo and wood grains are popular patterns.
So you dip the part in a water based paint basically? Is it recommend say if I wanted to paint a grille? Where can you get it? Do they have ford matching colors?

What would be the best recommended way to paint my grille ford matching color, iris clearcoat metallic

The hydrograhics film is a thin product which is very fragile, like tissue paper is not really paper. It has to be over coated with something durable, which I think is usually an automotive quality clear paint.

Try this for the Plasti Dip products; https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
I see it comes in spray cans now, which is better for do it yourself projects.

Plastic-dip/Hydro-dip, same thing as far as I'm concerned. The more proper name for it is Hydro-dipping. The Hydro-dip material is a bit like a decal, but is extremely thin and flexible. It comes on a sheet. You put the sheet in the water tray and the pattern floats off the backing. Then the part to be coated is "expertly dipped" in the tank and the pattern sticks to it. It's amazing how well it follows the contours of the part. After it's dried most people clear-coat the part to add durability.

It is a spray on rubberized coating. Essentially rubberized paint you can peel off later. It's pretty rugged when applied correctly, but can still be removed if you change your mind later. It's a handy way to black out trim and the like.

Here's my old Sport both without and then with a plasti-dipped grill.

8MEOOTRh.jpg

RhfLXhth.jpg

I like that, and does it come in a dark green that is close to your truck color? I'm actually going to paint my 99 truck that green, and I'd love to be able to coat the bumper and maybe the fender with it.

Plasti-dip comes in a bunch of different colors.

That's my old Sport, which met an unfortunate end. My new V8 XLT has it's bumper and grill painted OD Green.
QDi5M2Lh.jpg

I think your old Sport was the forest green I like so much. I kept the old 1993 Dark Tourmaline Pearl for my 99, but it needs a full repaint, plus a new hatch, LF door I have, so it's a good time to change.

Plasti-dip comes in a bunch of different colors.

That's my old Sport, which met an unfortunate end. My new V8 XLT has it's bumper and grill painted OD Green.
QDi5M2Lh.jpg

May I ask where you got those nice Headlights from?

It is a spray on rubberized coating. Essentially rubberized paint you can peel off later. It's pretty rugged when applied correctly, but can still be removed if you change your mind later. It's a handy way to black out trim and the like.

Here's my old Sport both without and then with a plasti-dipped grill.

8MEOOTRh.jpg

RhfLXhth.jpg

Oh, I've seen that stuff on TV. I didn't realize it was called Plastic-Dip. Apparently you can now buy it in gallon cans and paint your entire vehicle with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Basically, people use it for a matte finish, there's whole cars done with it, search it on YouTube.

Back