• Register Today It's free!

Little Tranny That Could?

Redneck Girl 77

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
:D I have a 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT. My transmission went out and I've found another engine and transmission out of a 1985 F250. 302 engine and 2x4 transmission. Is there any way I can convert the transmission to a 4x4? I would rather change engine and trans out all at one time then to do it later on. Thank You So Much!! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 302 will not bolt up to the A4LD as best I know. Also to change a 2WD A4LD into 4WD you need to completely disassemble the tranny to change output shafts, and will also need a 4x4 extension housing to go between the trans and the transfer case (that part is easy). BUT!!... you are biting off a BIG bite... what you propose ain't easy. Sorry.

Thank You! WOW! That is a BIG bite!! I just want MORE horsepower! Let's toss some ideas around? How about a BIGGER engine and a 5 speed manual transmission? I've got ALOT of IDEAS and an even BIGGER IMAGINATION! LOL!

get a tranny that is out of a 4wd f-250.

A lot will depand on if you have emissions test.

If you don't you can put a carbed 302 in.

If you do have emissions test you would have to get an ECM, engine & tranny from a 1996-2001 Explorer or Mountaineer & a 4406 T-case from a 1997-200? F-150 for the best & easiest route.

Back