Little X's 1354 T-Case Rebuild

little x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
SW VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
If you read this thread then you know that I was pretty much given a broken manual 1354. So armed with the pdf schematic at the bottom of this page I started the break down to see what was broken and if I could fix it. I have pretty much completed the brake down so far, so I’ll be writing the tear down in hindsight. I’ll be updating this thread with a build up as I go.

Well here she is in all her glory. She could be a great upgrade to someone, but instead she’s worthless.

01.jpg

The first thing you need to do is remove the rear drive shaft flange (red) and the speed sensor (blue).

I can’t remember what size bolt holds the speed sensor down, maybe something around 11mm. Here is a better picture of it. Edit: yep, 11mm (I can read the wrench in the picture, lol)

02.jpg

The rear drive shaft flange nut is 30 mm. I used an electric impact driver to remove it. I’m not sure how you’d remove it without one. Somehow you’d need to clamp the flange to keep it from spinning while turning the nut.

The nut comes off then a metal washer. Use a rubber mallet and tap the flange a few times and it will come off. There is also a rubber o-ring that needs to come off (still on the output shaft in these pics).

t-casea003.jpg

t-casea004.jpg

Here’re a couple more pictures, since I took them, and already uploaded them.

t-casea006.jpg

t-casea005.jpg

t-casea007.jpg

There are 9 bolts around the perimeter that hold the case together. 4 on the rear passenger side, and 5 on the front driver side.

t-casea008A.jpg

t-casea009A.jpg

After removing all of these bolts you need to rig up a stand for your case. You want the back pointing up in the air, but you don't want any pressure on the input shaft (which protrudes out). Use some pieces of wood like such.

t-casea010.jpg

t-casea011.jpg

You need to gently break the seal and pry this thing apart. To break the seal I followed the advice of Glacier911 and used an old knife, tapping it from the back with a hammer. Slowly work your way around the entire seal. Don't pry the pieces apart forcefully, just break through all the sealant. Then, once your done with that there are 2 (or were there 3?) pry points around the seal.

t-casea013.jpg

Carefully and evenly work the back of the case strait up and off the front. After you get it started it pretty much lifts right off.

t-casea023.jpg

t-casea024.jpg

t-casea026.jpg

Back