location of the FPR and test port (schrader valve) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

location of the FPR and test port (schrader valve)

kcp

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT
Hi,

I tried looking for this info today with no luck. I have a 2005 Sport Trac.

I got a P0193 code (high rail pressure) and I wanted to check it, but can't find the test port.

Also, I have been reading that probably the fuel pressure regulator or sensor (are they one of the same?) may be going bad. Could you help locating these for me please?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't go into the code and all the diagnosis, but I know for a fact my 01 does not have a schrader valve for testing. Yours likely doesnt' either.

I've never seen one without a schrader valve for testing. Find the fuel rail and you should find a schrader valve with a screw on cap towards the front of the engine. It's possible a plastic cover is hiding it from view.

John,

I took the cover off of the front and no luck. There are a bunch of fuel lines that go under the IAC, but no valve, not even on or near the rails.

There is a valve over near the evap stuff on the driver's side fender. When I press it, nothing happens. There are the fuel return lines over there, which I think this is a part of because I opened one up and smelled gas.

On the code reader, I have 4.99 kpa on my pressure. This is way low and the LTF & STF Trims are in the minus numbers (running lean). I'm going to try and change out the fuel filter (cheap) to see if this clears it up.

Thanks, Keith.

01-03 came with a schraeder valve. 04-05 did not. I used to make fuel pressure gauge kits for the 01-03's only because the 04-05s did not have a valve. The valve on the 01-03 is located on the passenger side, at the back of the fuel rail under the coolant lines. It has a blue cap that looks like a tire valve cover.

I finally figured out the problem. It ended up being the FRP sensor. I guess that if you don't change your fuel filter until 95k miles, things go bad. When I took off the fuel filter, all kinds of black gritty soot came out the "in" side. The "out" side of the filter, the fuel looked cloudy. When I got my "new" sensor (eBay - $20, but looked used), I took off the old one and found the same black gritty stuff under the sensor seal. So I am guessing the grit clogged up the sensor and finished it off. I put the "new" one on and wha-lah!

I had to rig a inline pressure splice down by the fuel filter to see if the pump was bad since there is no port on the rails. Basically, went to AutoZone and they lent me a pressure tester. When I had the fuel filter off, I cut the stems off of the old fuel filter and built a T rig. I cut two sections of fuel line and pushed them onto the brass T fitting that came with the test kit. I then inserted the cut off stems into the hoses and reattached just like you would when replacing the filter. Worked like a charm. Just make sure that you cut the stems off as long as possible or you risk leaving the forward stem too short to extract from the fitting.

I got 55 psi at the splice, so I knew that the sensor was the problem.

Moral of the story...change out your fuel filter around 50k miles or the sensor is going to fail. I got lucky on eBay where the sensor was going for $20. It usually goes for $120. Type in the Bosch part number (0261230093) and/or the Ford one (3F2E-9G756-AD) and you'll find it. I think this sensor goes on the Focus as well as the Mustang. My total bill was:

FRP sensor - $20
Fuel Filter - $12
Fuel line disconnect tools - $8 (I hate these...the outside diameter is too small and it was h3ll trying to get it off. I used tape to build it up and it eventually worked.)
Rental OBDII reader - AutoZone tool lease program (free)
Rental Pressure Tester - AutoZone tool lease program (free)

I did buy a Equus 3160 OBDII for future use since it has emissions, ABS and live data. MSRP is about $450, but I got it off of Amazon for $180. It looks like a real professional tool. Thought it was a good deal...we'll see. I didn't use it for this project, so not included in the costs.

Total - $40

Thanks.

Sorry you had the trouble, but good information.....thanks

Great idea using the stems off the old filter! I'm leaving my "adapter" idea of yours put together as this is the only use I see for this brass T adapter for the vehicles that I have to work on. Thanks!

KCP, I'm going to have to do the same thing as you - I have a 2001 Sport Trac and there is no Schrader valve anywhere for the fuel system. I've looked EVERYWHERE (at least that I could think of and everywhere people say to look!). So, thanks for the idea!

Back