• Register Today It's free!

Looking at Edelbrock IAS shocks

ToughCountry

Reaction score
City, State
Hopewell Junction NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport
Ive been looking around for some shocks and i searched around and saw everyone talking about these Edelbrock IAS shocks and how everyone likes them, so i went to summits website and i found them for a huge discount but they also said it was hazardous. It doesnt say why or what so i was gonna email them but i figured id ask here fist to see if anyone knew anything about this.

jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had just purchase my X (stock height) it had around 26,000 mile on it.

So the first upgrade I thought would be a shocks to give me a more comfortable ride or a aggressive ride when I needed it, and these shocks offered both.

Every Magazine I looked at and every parts web sites I visited had these new wonderful $69.95 AIS shocks which can handle anything you throw at them (the money Edelbrock spent on advertisement must have be astronomical).

So I ordered all four, received the back two (front two were back ordered) and decided to wait on the front two before putting them all on (they came a month later).

So the big day comes, I slap all four shocks on my ride and am ready for this wonderful ride I am suppose to get -- big surprise, they were more worst than the OEM's I had just removed. When a front tire hit a hole in the road it would actually bounce up and down like a basketball causing me to loose traction especially in the curves so I was forced to drive at a max 30mph in curves. On the highway when I hit a dip in the road my front end would bounce up and down like a ship on the great lakes. Those shocks were useless. I contacted customer service but received no satisfaction after a lengthily run around playing telephone tag, I even asked them if it was due to me having the weight of a slightly larger engine, a V8 and had they taken this into consideration when they manufactured them? Finnally they replied and said the v8 has no impact on them but they would exchange them if I sent them back. This was not an option since the old ones were trashed when I removed them.

Now some people say they have no problems with them at all, others like myself just plain hated them.

Its a lot of money to plop down on a set of shocks not knowing whether they will function correctly or not.

Please note I am not bashing people who like these shock, I'm just trying warn the ones who are considering purchasing the Edelbrock shocks that there is bad feedback on this product so buyer beware.

Edelboke IAS (I am sorry) shocks.

Stick with koni or bilistein.

Thanks for posting this, I was thinking of getting a set for my 97 X but upon reading this I'll do some researching on um.

I ran IAS shocks for 4 years before putting a lift on a couple months ago.

They handle very well on the street and were still good off road too. If I were to go back to street, I would use them again.

ok well i guess ull always get mixed reviews, so i guess its really up to whoever wants to try them. Thanx for both reviews

MountainEar said:
Now some people say they have no problems with them at all, others like myself just plain hated them.

Like I said some people love them others hate them, and it's alot of money to put down on them only to find out you were one of the people who got a bad set.

Good luck in your choice.
FYI
I currently running KYB fronts shocks, they are ok not the best, they have faded in only two years time to replace.
I once had monroe sensatrac up front on another ride and was also displeased.
So my next choice will be koni or bilistein I have heard good reveiws on both.

My rear shocks are Monroe Air leveling and I love them.

Back