Looking for an Explorer as a new daily | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for an Explorer as a new daily

Bovaloe

Reaction score
City, State
Wenatchee, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
None yet
So, like the title says, I have decided I want an Explorer as my new daily driver. Currently driving an 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis. Other vehicles I have are a 1999 K24 Miata, 2000 F250 7.3, and a 1957 Ford Courier Sedan Delivery. Ive had tons of other vehicles, majority of them FoMoCo.

I've been doing quite a lot of looking around and think I would like a 4th gen 4.6 4wd.
My reasoning/needs:
Wanted a newish rig for daily duty so needs to be comfy, have a new kid so need 4 doors, some trailer hauling duty (car trailer and Miata), light off-roading (more than just forest service roads but not rock crawling levels).
I've gotten used to all the bells and whistles of my Grand Marquis, like heated seats, auto headlights, etc.
4th gen has the 3v 4.6 so more power than the 2v of the 3rd gen.
Was looking at Mountaineers but only AWD, looked at Aviators(for the DOHC 4.6), but not a lot out of 1st gens I saw, then they went to AWD too.

It doesn't look like a lot of suspension stuff for the 4th, wouldn't really want it too much higher but a little bigger tires would probably be nice. Are there any pros/cons that I might not be thinking of as far as picking a generation to look for?

4th Gens seem to be reliable Explorers. They fixed issues with the 3rd gen.

This thread may give you some ideas about lifts and tires.

IMO, when comparing stock vehicles, 4th gen V8 Explorers (especially for off road) and Mountaineers are arguably the most reliable, feature rich, off road capable models Ford has made. These were the last generation made body on frame and used many parts from the F150 pickup truck. My Mountaineer has plenty of options that make driving it a pleasure. It has six way power front seats, bucket seating in the second row, heated seats, Bluetooth, built-in GPS navigation, touchscreen, built-in one gig hard drive for music file storage, steering wheel controls, 292 hp three valve V8, a very reliable and tough six speed transmission, independent rear suspension, generous third row seating, DVD system for watching movies (includes headphones), dual zone heating/AC, separate rear heating/AC, has up to a 7,000 lb tow rating and some other things I am likely forgetting. I can get anywhere from 18-22 mpg on the highway depending on speed and the terrain I am traveling which isn't bad for a 5,000 lb brick. Since you want to do some light off roading, get the Explorer because the Mountaineers only come with AWD and has no 4x4 Low option.

Back