looking for tips on improving fuel mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for tips on improving fuel mileage

wyochimneysweep

Reaction score
City, State
fargo, nd
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer AWD 5.0
got a 97 explorer awd with 302. need thoughts on better fuel ecomony. installed electric cooling with temp switch at 190 degrees. cold air intake. new u-joints, wheel bearings up front. correct tire pressure. complete tune up. sytec engine oil. new 02 sensors have been done. what gets me is some times i'll get 17-19 which i can live with and same temps outside and same driving techinque i'll get 11-13. can narrow it down to why. going to buy a maf sensor soon. i'll post back my fuel trim when i can borrow my friends scanner again. just replaced cam sensor this week. was throwing code every was in awhile so maybe that was problem.

thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got a 97 explorer awd with 302. need thoughts on better fuel ecomony. installed electric cooling with temp switch at 190 degrees. cold air intake. new u-joints, wheel bearings up front. correct tire pressure. complete tune up. sytec engine oil. new 02 sensors have been done. what gets me is some times i'll get 17-19 which i can live with and same temps outside and same driving techinque i'll get 11-13. can narrow it down to why. going to buy a maf sensor soon. i'll post back my fuel trim when i can borrow my friends scanner again. just replaced cam sensor this week. was throwing code every was in awhile so maybe that was problem.

thanks in advance

Look at Aldive's truck, he gets 30+ MPG. Unfortunately you don't have the same engine as him, but many of his ideas/mods are universal. Is your MAF sensor damaged, dirty, or you just looking to get a bigger one? I'd suggest just to clean your MAF before replacing it completely.

also forgot to add. removed the two cats behind second o2 sensor and installed two trubo mufflers and still is dual's. what do you recommend to clean the maf. i was always under the. understanding that its bad to try to clean them. i'll have to take a look at what he has done. could you post a link

thanks

Just spray it down with some electronics parts cleaner. As for Aldive's mods, search for "my quest for 30"

Is this a 2wd or 4wd? What is the mileage?

I would suggest synthetic ATF and Synthetic in the transfer case and diffs.

got 19 miles the other weekend so cleaning the maf helped out alot

get this!

im new, i dont know what to do! how do i get pictures up so i can help my fellow explorer enthusiasts! Anyways get royal purple!

Back