Looking to change out my spark plugs 4.0 ohv | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to change out my spark plugs 4.0 ohv

@Mbrooks420 Well my 2000 was left for dead due to rust issues some time ago, I picked it up for $200 since it's not rusty at all (parts truck I'm getting is more rusty), and fixed it up. The plugs were extremely worn when I got it so I think they'd been in there several years, it's originally a Minnesota, Maine, and Pennsylvania truck depending on what time you ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know all about PA rust. Lol.

One thing I'll add to the above removal tips is a 3/8" u-joint ratchet extension definitely comes in handy where you can't get directly onto the plug, just be careful you're not applying pressure to the side too much and snap the ceramic part off. Removing the plug wire boots were a real pain on mine, longest part of my job, had to get in there with a small razor box cutter to slice the side of the boot, then they come off real easily. Obviously not an option if you're not also replacing the wires.

If I plan to install new plugs, is it OK if I accidentally snap off the ceramic part of an old plug (while removing it)?

If I plan to install new plugs, is it OK if I accidentally snap off the ceramic part of an old plug (while removing it)?
I dont see where it would hurt anything, just done loose the broken piece down in the frame when pulling the socket out. I however make it a practice not to break anything during removal, this helps prevent developing a pattern when installing the new plugs. I also like to inspect the old plugs condition, the less damage to the old parts, the more accurate the examination.

Snapping one off won’t hurt anything. Just be careful not to crack the new ones. It’s not hard to do, and the truck will run poorly, and you’ll have to track down which it is. I’d do the plugs one at a time, as opposed to pulling the 3 wires off on that side at once.

Thanks guys, all good suggestions.
I think I'll give the xp103 autolites a try, with the rebate can't beat the price.

I got my plugs monday and put them in yesterday, runs nice.
With the rebate coming, about a $1.40 a plug.

Agree, no major issue if you break off the ceramic portion of the old plug during removal, provided that you don't damage the threads on the engine in the process, as a helicoil is no fun. PB Blaster/Kroil, getting the proper angle of access, a U-joint socket and time is your friend, no need to rush the job and round one off or get a bunch of foreign matter into your cylinder.

If it doesn't want to move, something is wrong.

2000 Explorer XLT 4-Door 2WD 4.0L SOHC. Here are he original spark plugs after 130,000 miles. They're Motorcraft Platinum AGSF 22PP. Look closely and you'll see that 3 of the 6 plugs have significant loss of the spark tip... they have a gap of 0.076". The other 3 have a gap of 0.057". I'm pretty sure the spec is 0.054".
Ford Explorer - Plugs.jpg

2000 Explorer XLT 4-Door 2WD 4.0L SOHC. Here are he original spark plugs after 130,000 miles. They're Motorcraft Platinum AGSF 22PP. Look closely and you'll see that 3 of the 6 plugs have significant loss of the spark tip... they have a gap of 0.076". The other 3 have a gap of 0.057". I'm pretty sure the spec is 0.054".
View attachment 160284

This is what happens due to the "waste spark" ignition system. Your 3 more worn out plugs all came from the same side/bank, right? I experienced the same wear on bank 2 (using the same Motorcraft spark plugs) on a 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 at around 100,000 miles. I've decided in the future I will replace my spark plugs at around 50K and not the manufacturer's recommended 100K.

Yes, .054 i the correct setting on the spark plugs when new. Iridium plugs would probably last longer, but are more expensive.

This is what happens due to the "waste spark" ignition system. Your 3 more worn out plugs all came from the same side/bank, right? I experienced the same wear (using the same Motorcraft spark plugs) on a 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 at around 100,000 miles. I've decided in the future I will replace my spark plugs at around 50K and not the manufacturer's recommended 100K.

Yes, .054 i the correct setting on the spark plugs when new. Iridium plugs would probably last longer, but are more expensive.

+1

I wouldn't leave them in there that long.
But besides the gap being way off on 3 of them.Those plugs look pretty good for 130,000 miles

+1

I wouldn't leave them in there that long.
But besides the gap being way off on 3 of them.Those plugs look pretty good for 130,000 miles

In my 5,0 Mountaineer, after 100K the plugs that were in bank 1 looked great, barely needing to be re-gaped while the bank 2 plugs were over .084 (my plug gauge didn't go high enough to actually get an accurate measurement). The engine had begun suffering from multiple misfires, no doubt all on bank 2. If I wanted to be cheap, I'd only change my bank 2 plugs at 50K. I also replaced the original OE plug wires (@ 248,000 miles) and now it's back to running like a Swiss watch.

Replaced mine earlier this week, along with the plug wires. God only knows how many miles were on them(I traded some BMX cranks for it). 1996 4.0L with 240,000 and counting on the odometer. Runs like a top now and no more missing while accelerating.

20180622_141131_resized.jpg

Was the one loose?

Was the one loose?
None of them were super tight but yes, #4 with the oil on it came out with my fingers. Plan on pulling it again in a few weeks to see if its is oiled again.

Replaced mine earlier this week, along with the plug wires. God only knows how many miles were on them(I traded some BMX cranks for it). 1996 4.0L with 240,000 and counting on the odometer. Runs like a top now and no more missing while accelerating.

View attachment 160285
Interesting. They suffered the same outcome as my plugs, i.e., 3 have gaps that are extremely large (the 3 on the right side of the image) and 3 have gaps that are probably slightly over spec (the 3 on the left side of the image).

They will always have 3 (or 4 with the V8) that have a considerably larger gap.

Back