Losing Antifreeze from cold fill tank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Losing Antifreeze from cold fill tank

Swee294349

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4
I've replaced my heater core twice in the past 6 months due to leaking, but i'm still losing antifreeze. I did notice it was leakin right below where my heater core is, but that has been fixed. The head gaskets were replaced March of 2002. Any other ideas of what's goin on here? My dad and i are baffled as to where it's going. Maybe cracked head/block? any input or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

by the way it's a 91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check where the radiator connects to the resevoir. They have a tendency to leak from there....

Do a pressure test.. If you lucky you will see/hear where it is coming out.

Another common place is the side of the radiator.. It is plastic and will eventually split..

If you still can't find it, you can put some of the glow dye that will glow when using a UV light. that way you can track if.. If you don't see if leaking anywhere then you have a head gasket problem.

~Mark

Mine stopped using coolant when I tightened the lower intake manifold bolts to resolve some engine ping.

i checked where it connects to the reservoir....no leaks there.
the radiator is a brand new one....dont see any leakage on the ground...what do i need to do for the pressure test? and i'll see about using the dye.
i'll have to see about tightening the lower intake manifold bolts.

thanks....any other ideas?

you need a kit like this.. (this one is a little expensive)
154082_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...HOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=383461&categoryId=0

~Mark

hmmm....i'll have to recheck everything then....does harbor freight tools have a kit similar to that?

thanks

I didn't see it in my harbor freight catalog.. BUT.. I noticed that Autozone has it in their list of "loan a tools"....

Check your local chain autoparts stores to see if they have it in a loan a tool program.

~Mark

alright cool.

thanks everyone for the input. i'll see what's up with my truck hopefully soon.

Back