• Register Today It's free!

Lots of steam coming from exhaust

rmillerllc

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
My 98 explorer XLT 4.0 overheated yesterday about 5 miles after I left home. I pulled over, popped the hood with engine still running and found that the plastic radiator had sprung a healthy leak. I had 2gallons of drinking water with me and put that in the radiator then went back home. Truck was running perfect.
I put a new radiator in today and replaced the coolant. Took her for a drive and she's running a little rough and idling worse. I put new spark plugs in figuring that might be the problem.
It still idles rough, still overheats but not leaking coolant and now there's a heavy stream of white steam coming from the exhaust.
I'm wandering if I've cracked a head or blown a head gasket. There's no indication of water in the oil.
Has anyone else had this happen? It was running smooth and strong until it overheated. Any thoughts will be deeply appreciated. Thanks

the white steam/smoke coming out the exhaust is antifreeze/coolant. it's very common to blow a head gasket or crack a head after overheating these engines.

I had 2gallons of drinking water with me and put that in the radiator then went back home.

Oops. You did let the engine cool down before you did that, right?

Either the overheating did it, or the cold water shock did. No matter; you're looking at a head gasket (best case) or a cracked head/block.

Good luck.

^ +1. Youngest son did that with his Blazer. Truck was running hot and he pulled in, cut it off and hit it with the water hose. The End.

Back