• Register Today It's free!

Loud bang noise in drve line.

00MTEDDIE

Reaction score
City, State
Bozeman, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EDDIE
2000 eddie awd 5.0l v8. so the other day i was driving to work and pulled out into traffic and accelerated. then all of the sudden a loud bang noise happened. i checked it out and it sounds like its coming from my transfer case. i putt it up on a lift and had a friend power brake it and it looks like the front drive shaft is skipping. its almost like the chain is skipping inside the transfer case or the front drive shaft is skipping on the splines. i am wondering if anyone has had heard of this and what they figured the problem was?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 eddie awd 5.0l v8. so the other day i was driving to work and pulled out into traffic and accelerated. then all of the sudden a loud bang noise happened. i checked it out and it sounds like its coming from my transfer case. i putt it up on a lift and had a friend power brake it and it looks like the front drive shaft is skipping. its almost like the chain is skipping inside the transfer case or the front drive shaft is skipping on the splines. i am wondering if anyone has had heard of this and what they figured the problem was?
im surprised nobody answered this

I do not know what it is but if the transfer case is making noise that is not a good thing. Swap is not that bad, finding a good one for cheap is a little harder. I think @410Fortune had some at one time. You can do some troubleshooting like removing the front drive shaft and see how it performs, removing the rear drive shaft and seeing how it performs. Sounds like you need a new transfer case though.

This is almost certainly a failed driveshaft in this case. Extremely common on the V8s.

Had same issue. 5.0 mountaineer. Went on and off for a year. Checked bolts etc and found viscous dampener failing and chains excess play so noisy when turning. Replaced and all good.

transmission shop pulled the transfer case waiting to hear what they say already resigned to probably having to pull one from the junkyard. ideally from a city explorer w a tc that didn't use 4x4 much. feel like a bonified retard for not maintaining it better may have had a clogged breathing tube on the front end or low fluid. the thing is, the truck drove like a beast all winter and these symptoms reared their head when I wasn't even in 4x4. can't place anything in particular as to what caused it to suddenly go out other than low fluid.

They aren’t stout t cases. Probably just worn out. A single spinning engagement can ruin them..

transmission shop pulled the transfer case waiting to hear what they say already resigned to probably having to pull one from the junkyard. ideally from a city explorer w a tc that didn't use 4x4 much. feel like a bonified retard for not maintaining it better may have had a clogged breathing tube on the front end or low fluid. the thing is, the truck drove like a beast all winter and these symptoms reared their head when I wasn't even in 4x4. can't place anything in particular as to what caused it to suddenly go out other than low fluid.
mmm... just curious, the 5.0 AWD you have does not have selectable 4WD. Are you planning on converting it to 4WD with a new transfer case mod?

mmm... just curious, the 5.0 AWD you have does not have selectable 4WD. Are you planning on converting it to 4WD with a new transfer case mod?
He doesn’t have a 5.0.

AWD. Just runs great and has never failed and left me on the side of the road. Always gives you warning signs long before any repair issue. Typical V8.

Back