• Register Today It's free!

low idel when A/C is on

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
finally needed to use the AC today, and i kept hearing a ticking noise..it usually makes a ticking noise but it was doing it faster then befor...the rpm would go down to 500rpm then shoot up to 1200rpm the go right back to 500 and on and on..

does the AC really put that much strain on the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine do the same thing,the ticking and the idle drop is from the compressor cycling on&off,could be low on freon,one reason for the on off ticking.idle drop no clue!sorry!

Well I had the idle air controler, and the a/c compressor replaced. I can tell you if its running right with a/c on its 900 rpms, and when its off its 800+ maybe even 850rpms

Then again this is on a 95 4.0 v6 OHV

Yeah, you might want to consider cleaning or replacing the IAC. However, if the IAC is bad, the RPMS should act up regardless of the AC being on.

I dont know if it would act up all the time.

In the case of mine, it didnt. Only acted up between the cut in and off of the A/C. Other than that, it seemed fine. It just idled a little high, and tried to die (drop down to 500 rpm's or less) every blue moon or so.

Back