Low range light on... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low range light on...

rudypoochris

Reaction score
So I started my car up tonight and the low range light was on in faint red (not as bright as normal 4x4). Very strange. Low range was not actually engaged. I went ahead and drove it home as is. Any thoughts? 4x4 functions properly.

I have never used low range in my life. I turned on 4x4 and it glowed bright red and was clearly on. I pressed low range multiple times but it would not go "off" or "on" the light staid the same faint red. It is clearly not on though and the button is complete unresponsive. Is a wire loose? Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This seems to be common that sometimes the 4wd lights may have a faint glow and I have no idea why. But you said you couldn't get it to turn on either? Did you have your truck in neutral when trying to engage low range, because that is a must for the transfercase to switch gears it cannot have a load on so the truck must be in neutral.

I do not think I was in neutral. I will try again today. The 4x4 came on with just the clutch depressed, but it is supposedly meant to engage up to 55mph... yeah right.

4high can be engaged while driving its 4low that you must be stopped and in neutral or clutch pressed in the whole way.

I do not think I was in neutral. I will try again today. The 4x4 came on with just the clutch depressed, but it is supposedly meant to engage up to 55mph... yeah right.

You can engage 4x4 high that fast....I know from experience :D

You can engage 4x4 high that fast....I know from experience :D

I turned 4x4 on. Then turned on low range w/ clutch down and trans in neutral. Then turned it all off. Reversed to reset it. Light doesn't have a faint glow anymore... strange.

On a completely unrelated topic anyone know where I can find the oil pressure specifications for the 4.0L OHV. What I mean is how much pressure it should read at what RPM. Thanks!

My Low light with glow faintly when it's cold out. like -10 C or below. Once the truck is turned off and on again after it warms up the light goes away. My Low is also not engaged. I'm not worried about it.

Hope this helps.

Back