Low Speed Turning with AWD

qwqb

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
Hey Everyone,

I searched around for this but wasn't able to find much. Anyways I just acquired a 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD! I've noticed however that if in Drive, and I let off the brakes, the car will begin moving as it should if I have the steering wheel pointed straight ahead. However, if I have the steering wheel turned all the way right or left, I have to give it a decent amount of gas to get the vehicle to start to move. Just wondering if this is a normal behavior? Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

May be your transfercase.. There's a vicous clutch which can freeze up and cause binding and problems turning.

well that doesn't sound very good! I read other threads of people with issues of vibration and hopping during low speed turning, but mine goes through the turn smoothly, just needs an extra kick on the accelerator to get it to go.

I believe the viscous clutch is dragging more than it normally should, perhaps due to bearing issues. Do you feel any "tugging" of the steering wheel when negotiating parking-lot type turns at moderate speed? SOME is not unusual with AWD; a LOT indicates a problem.

If it were mine, I would drive it awhile, paying close attention to WORSENING of the perceived abnormality. When that happens, the time is ready to repair/replace the transfer case.

One other possibility would be BINDING in one of the front axle C-V joints; this usually produces audible noise, however, and is fairly unusual from the binding standpoint. imp

I went through some tight turns this morning, there was no tugging to be felt int he steering wheel. It still goes through the turns smoothly, as in there is no sudden jerking or jolting or anything like that.

There is some sort of audible noise that I have noticed at low speeds but its not just when turning. There is some sort of whirr noise, but i don't suspect that its anything too out of the ordinary.

Is it possible that a wheel bearing could cause this behavior?

Back