lowering a 4 wheel drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lowering a 4 wheel drive

F

flumpmasterflex

im a 17 year old hish school student that has wanted a sport truck(s-10) for a while now..recently my parents bought me a 97 ford explorer sport...it has 4 wheel drive...one of my friends told me that i couldnt lower it because it is 4 wheel drive...i wanted to lower it and put some 20 inch rims on there..can anyone shed some light on the situation..can i or cant i lower my 97 ford explorer sport if it has 4 wheel drive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm...lowering a 4wd is pretty hard....if you really want to, you could flip the rear shackels and cut the front coils I suppose...

It should be pretty simple. You don't have coils, you have torsion bars so do a search for torsion twist or TT. Most of the stuff you'll find will be about lifting them but twisting the bolt the opposite direction will lower it. Then since you have SUA spring under axle, just buy a block(1.5"-2") and stick that between the axle and leaf springs. You should be able to get about a 1.5-2" drop from this.

BTW-Welcome to the site :)

Torshin Twist In The Front : Free (well youll need and Alignment

How To

Blocks In The Back (Under $50 I think)

How To

the ride will be stiffer when done and its harder finding shocks for lowered explorers ,but installing the stuff is very simple.

just wish you would do the right thing and lift it :D

good luck

GONRACIN said:
hmm...lowering a 4wd is pretty hard....if you really want to, you could flip the rear shackels and cut the front coils I suppose...
Okay, no offense, but let's know a little about what we are talking about before giving technical advice.

lowering blocks and torsion twist are the way to go. I lowered my sport trac 2" in the rear (soon to be 3") and twisted the front torsion bolts down to get nearly 2" of drop in the front. I swapped the stock shocks with Edelbrocks that are designed for lowered explorers, you can find them at www.explorerexpress.com

The technique is fairly simple. It is inexpensive with exception of the alignment, which could cost around $200 if you need the camber adjusters. I lowered mine by myself in my parking lot with a jack, jack stands and a socket set.

The ride will suffer a little bit due to the shorter clearance between the bump stops. I trimmed my rear bump stops an inch, and plan to replace my front bump stops with those available at autozone. If you toss on an Explorer Express sway bar for the rear, your sport will handle much better as well. Without the aftermarket shocks and swaybar, your ride might not be as comfortable.

robb you make me laugh so hard

Well first off, I'd like to appreciate you lying to me about your age, but I'll let that slide?

Anyways, like I told you in the IMs, Search if your friend.

Robb said:
Okay, no offense, but let's know a little about what we are talking about before giving technical advice.

okay...my bad....I didn't see the year of his X and assumed it was a first gen... :confused:

I assume all this will work with a 95 EXT 4WD as well????

Back