hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
95 limited.. have the ARC system.

I want to lower it, however I've searched all over this board, and can't find any posts w/ actual answers.

What are the options with lowering an Ex that has the ARC system, besides putting in new shocks or just turning the system to 'off'? is it even possible? has anyone done it?

There was a post about the sensor's of the ARC system putting out different voltages for different hieghts. 4.75volts or so if it is at minimum ride hieght, .25 if it is at maximum ride hieght. I was thinking that if the system was below minimum ride hieght, that the sensor would put out > 4.75 volts. Do you think that there would be a way to put a resistor on the sensor wire? ie if lowering it caused the sensor to put out 6 volts, stick a 1.25 volt resistor on. Making the computer think that the lowered hieght was the normal minimum hieght?

The next problem is locating the sensors... I've taken a quick glance at the shocks and didn't see any obvious sensors. Are they built into the shocks?

Thanks,
Patrick

Here is thread about the voltages:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89195

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your gonna have to get all 4 new shocks inorder to do so. You have to make sure you get shouck for normal explorers w/no air aride abviously.

BTW your only like an hour and a half away from me!!!

it is rare to meet someone from nothern va here it seems... I'm in blacksburg right now though, going to Tech.

you might have some luck at your local parts house that has ALLDATA. ALLDATA is a factory updated refference guide and has wiring diagrams that should show you where the ride height sensors are located. My experence is that you have to get the truck up in the air but first make sure you turn off the ride control off. But once you get the truck up in the air the air strut should be fully extened and you should be able to look clearlly at the top of the strut the sensor should be right there in plain view it should just look like a wiring harness conector. To tell you the truth I'm pretty sure that the ecm/pcm controls the height adjustments it might do that by sending different amounts of voltage to the sensor but that doesnt mean that different heights require different amounts of voltage. For example 4.5 volts might be enough voltage to raise the truck 3 inches in 30 seconds but 4.5 volts might also be the right amount of volts to 4 inches in 45 seconds these are all rough #s. So just to give you a heads up on the voltage thing you cant allways rely on it but good luck and sorry this is so long but there is alot to talk about when it comes to ride height control.

Don't you have to replace all 4 shocks when you lower it? Just pay the $200 for new shocks and be done with it. That ARC thing is pretty silly... And I know you have a tow strap, but I really bet that Oct. 4th was the last time your truck will be in 4 low ;)

haha yea, probably. And no, the ARC is awesome. I'm going to go by a dealer sometime soon, it would be great if they could lower it just by reprogramming. Hey, it snows here, doesn't it? I'll be out in the snow.

What is your goal? Do you want to be able to raise it back up? The stock air ride system has sensors and other components. I doubt that the dealer will want to modify it. The ride & handling is much better with the Edelbrock Shocks versus the stock air ride shocks. Your potential for improved ride & handling is best achieved with the air ride system disabled.

Originally posted by hydroxy
Hey, it snows here, doesn't it? I'll be out in the snow.

Whats your point? Even if you lower your 4x4, you'll probably still be sitting higher than my old Acura Legend which drove fine in the snow. (And even made it through a snow storm that a 4x4 4Runner on 31's did not ~ I've got pics to prove it)

Really, why do you want to keep the air ride system. You know you won't be going off road again after you broke your "precious" back up lights and got your engine muddy. You'll be 4x4 so you'll make it through anything that Virginia can throw at you. You don't even need 4x4 for VA winters.

Well yes, I'd like to have the option of raising it two inches, that would be nice. And I like the system. It will be as close to active suspension as I'll get, even though it is still a far cry from active suspension. I'll goto a dealer and see what they can do, can't hurt to ask.

Hokie, back in fairfax this year, if I wasn't able to raise my ex, I would have been plowing through the snow on the street with my front bumper. It didn't get plowed for a week. 6' in a 3 days. It is good I broke my 'precious' reverse light, now I'm forced to get new ones =P

I know I ask a lot, but I want it to be lowered, but have the option of bringing it back to 'normal' hieght. =P If I'll have to rip the system out anyways, will it matter if I destroy it trying to tweak with it? I might be able to sell the shocks, but I doubt anyone would buy those shocks w/ 120k miles on 'em.

When you disable it, do you get the "Air Ride System Off" on the center console everytime you start the ex?

-Patrick

why not lower it with new shocks then use the air ride kit from EE to adjust the ride height a little if you really need to.

Originally posted by expo5.0
why not lower it with new shocks then use the air ride kit from EE to adjust the ride height a little if you really need to.

Do you drive your truck in the snow Expo? If you can make it up in MN, hydroxy will do JUST FINE here in VA...

Pat, you're thinking TOO much... 1-2 days a year max you could possibly tell a difference.. possibly... And last winter was a freak winter.

Yea yea, but seriously - if I'm going to scrap the system anyways, I might as well fiddle with it till it dies. Besides, would be a good learning experience and I might just be able to do it.

Also, being able to raise it those 2" is a BIG HELP when changing the oil or working underneath it. I can't imagine what it would be like with it lowered...

Originally posted by hydroxy
I can't imagine what it would be like with it lowered...

Like any other CAR out there ;) Jacks and jackstands are your friend. Basically all you're tellin' me is you're fickle...

Pat if you're gonna go street.. go street and get your 18's, drop it, and it'll be sweet.

yes mom

yea yea, bite me. Pledges at other schools are already getting initiated. When is your lazy ass going to give me an interview?

If you got your explorer lowered and drove it every day you would never want to go back. When your wheeling you usually break stuff (ie: lights:) ). I think that you shoudl just get new shocks then if oyu ever decide to change just swap out the shocks chage the tortion bars and take out the blocks and there ya go. nothing would be perminate. What color is your truck btw?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back