LPG problems.

waroberts64

Reaction score
City, State
Liverpool, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi,
I'm new to Ford Explorers and forums but I hope the forum works better than my Explorer. I recently fitted a single entry LPG system with oneway valves on the plastic manifold, and I'm now suffering the consequences. Backfires causing bonnet insulation to catch fire, and general bad running at low revs. Anyone know of a solution which does not involve fitting a least multipoint LPG system. I wondered if its posible to fit a metal intake manifold.

Chears,
Will.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

waroberts64 said:
Hi,
I'm new to Ford Explorers and forums but I hope the forum works better than my Explorer. I recently fitted a single entry LPG system with oneway valves on the plastic manifold, and I'm now suffering the consequences. Backfires causing bonnet insulation to catch fire, and general bad running at low revs. Anyone know of a solution which does not involve fitting a least multipoint LPG system. I wondered if its posible to fit a metal intake manifold.

Chears,
Will.

Simple gas system doesn't work in explorers, because it has a long air tube
from the filter to the engine. It works only with injectors and computer
wich working together the car's computer!
I installed my system one year ago without any problem!
Denis from Hungary

Hmm.... would you two perhaps elaborate on the fuel systems you are using? I am sure the vast majority of people on this forum are in the USA and LPG systems are uncommon to say the least, its always interesting to hear of alternative fuel sources.

Josh

As far as I know the only LPG systems that can be used successfully on the Explorer are the multi-point ones because of exactly the things that are happening to you. A metal inlet manifold would be possible but you would have to get one made for you as they are all plastic from Fords. You may just have to bite the bullet and change over to the correct system for the engine.

hi mate..sorry to hear of your problems there man,the only,and i mean only lpg system that should ever be fitted on to any x is a multi point injection system,this eleiminates the backfires and other gremlins associated with single entry lpg systems.explorers have plastic manifolds and a back fire can shatter this causing total destruction to the engine.sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
rgds.
RH76

I would never LPG my explorer, why run it on a fuel that its not meant to run on?

SmokeGrinder said:
I would never LPG my explorer, why run it on a fuel that its not meant to run on?

Because it is cheaper and has a higher octane...plus if you run out rob it from the grill :D

yes but the engine was never meant to run it..... if you cant run it with the correct fuel buy a focus..

What the hell is LPG?

Liquid propane gas. Same stuff you use in your backyard grill. Forklifts and some trucks (<---converted over) have ran it for years.

SmokeGrinder said:
yes but the engine was never meant to run it..... if you cant run it with the correct fuel buy a focus..

There is nothing wrong with running alternate fuels, an internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine. There are many "fleet trucks" in the USA that used LPG as a fuel. This includes GM's smallblocks. Liquid Propane Gas, is actually a more stable fuel in terms of octane, and its higher octane allows more timing to be run in an engine. In turn, this often allows an engine to run more efficient (better milage) and the fuel burns very clean.

I really don't understand people that just jump all over this stuff saying "I wouldn't" and essentially saying that its a stupid idea, because they are not very educated about alternate fuels here in the USA. Its been around for quite a while, go on Pirate4x4.com once and search for LPG, I know there are a couple of members running it there with great success.

If I could find a good kit for my 5.0 I would definately give it a shot.

Later

Josh

I think that the real issue is that fitting a non manufacture designed fuel system to my x is not something I like the idea of. It is hard enough to find spares here and if anything was to go wrong fault finding would be a nightmare. Also the issue of tank location as I would not like to move where the spare wheel is as I use all the cargo space and one of my reasons for choosing the x was so that it did not have the spare hanging off the rear door which I feel looks bad. The costs also come in to play and according to my calculations I would have to do at least 50k miles just to get the money back from conversion before any savings would be made.

is there a web page to check out these sysems or more info?

(dead links)

ive been running it for a few months,best thing i ever did..its actually much better for your engine and my X lurves it..no problems at all with it after its 1000 mile tune up and just for the record liquified PETROLEUM gas is PETROL god bless you(!)so no probs with running it in a PETROL engine.believe me when you go to the fill station and see petrol at 98p a litre and good old lpg is 36.9p a litre its makes me laugh like a drain..check out the above link for info.
rgds
RH76

and as for the spare wheel issue,i had all my tyres treated with a special solution which seals punctures immediately that the old bill and army use,garuntees against a flat for the legal lifetime of the tyre.police dont carry spares..neither do i now,thats where me fuel tank goes)

Hi RoadHog,

where did you get your conversion done and how much did it cost you ?

cheers

Dean

(dead link)
youll get all the details here,he did an excellent job man truly,it'l cost you around 16-1800 quid sounds alot but well worth it especially when its almost 4.50 a gallon now! costs me 22.44 for 61 an a half litres of fuel!!!

oh just noticed youre all the way down in dorset..if you look on the lpga website(listed above) then it has a list of lpga approved fitters fill stations etc in the uk..its as comprehensive as it gets and lists county by county.good luck mate:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LPG, Propane

LPG, not trying to be difficult, but do you mean propane? If so there is a cite, GotPropane.com and on it you can contact the guy that runs it by email or phone. I have done both. He is pretty sharp when it comes to alternative fuels and helped me when I was converting my Samurai.

Back