lpg scare stories

Grimsqueaker

Reaction score
City, State
oxfordshire, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
Hi folks
just been digging around my explorer and after having a couple of lpg issues i mentioned this on a lpg forum and got bombarded with lots of scare stories about explorers exploding because of the plastic inlet manifold, so what do i need to do?
cheers

It's the single point systems that have an issue. In the event of a back fire they can break the inlet manifold. Multi point systems generally do not have this problem.

agreed, i had single point on mine when i first bought it, had it retuned several times but kept back firing, only way to solve it was multipoint, but i didnt have 800 quid spare at the time for it so i removed the whole thing

Hi folks
just been digging around my explorer and after having a couple of lpg issues i mentioned this on a lpg forum and got bombarded with lots of scare stories about explorers exploding because of the plastic inlet manifold, so what do i need to do?
cheers

Just to take a less sensational approach (we're like that here!), it's not as dramatic as you might be led to believe but it's still a pain in the arse when it happens!

I've got an old, single-point system, mine did it with an almighty bang - I felt it hit the bulkhead - and I knew straight away what had happened. Fortunately it was literally just around the corner from home and it limped (or rather lurched) home in a very sorry state.

The thing is, they don't do it just for the hell of it. I let mine happen - inadvertantly - and if you read some of Jim Casey's (jcasey007) posts, he explains in great detail.

I had leaking inlet manifold gaskets and as a result, mine had crap idle, it overshot dreadfully on start-up - often switching to gas way to soon - and it stalled a lot as the IAC undershot when you came off the pedal. It's the stalling that did it because if you restart under the right circumstances (manifold full of gas, valve timing overlap etc) you get a flame back up the intack tract and KABOOM!

So, there I am with the entire back end of the upper mainfold missing (about the size of a tennis ball) thinking; "looks like we're doing those gaskets then!"

Again very fortunately a local guy was breaking a couple of Explorers so I got a manifold pdq and got it all back together following a very excellent guide found on here.

Ever since that, no more stalling and no more backfires!

Back