Lurching on downshift (at almost stopped speed) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lurching on downshift (at almost stopped speed)

Karaoke_Carlos

Reaction score
City, State
Simi Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT V8, 6sp Auto
I am getting concerned. We have a "new" 2007 Explorer XLT, with a V8 and the 6 sp automatic transmission. We are the original owners. The truck has about 9300 miles. Slowly but surely, this issue has been getting worse. It seems that when we are rolling to a stop, something is causing the car to LUNGE forward, creating a potentially hazardous situation.

I'm guessing it is the transmission downshifting... but it is doing so in a very JERKY fashion.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you're still under warranty no harm in taking it to the dealership and seeing if there is a new computer update for the transmission.

Yes, the V8s 6 speed is notorious for having problems. The V6s 5 speed has some complaints but I would bet 99% of those would be fixed with the transmission update for the computer.

lol, here is a quote from somebody on that site. Sounds like driver error to me. Even if something did go wrong, I would hope a person have enough common sense to use the pedal that makes you stop!!!!

"I am glad I heard about this website.

A problem occurred just recently on January 29, 2008 at my sister's apartment and
the parking spaces there are slanted on an angle. While in the Reverse position I
was easing out nice and slow and all of a sudden while in Reverse the truck rolled
down the embankment into the trees.

I was accused of either going at a high rate of speed or covering for someone.

I am thankful that this website exists."

Back