M5r1 vs M5r2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M5r1 vs M5r2

slace22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
Can anyone tell me the difference in the M5r1 and the M5r2 ?
Is the bolt holes on the case the same ?
Thanks for any info.
HR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not interchangeable if that's what you're wondering. The r2 came in full size trucks behind V8s.
You can swap in a M5r1HD that behind the sohc 4.0.

thanks for the info but here is what may be another dumb question.
Could you take the internal parts from a M5R2 and put inside the case of an M5R1 ???

Nope. Totally different.

Another question.
I bought a transmission from a guy and he said it was an M5R1 transmission that came out of a 1994 ford ranger , i have a 1994 ford explorer and i pulled out my tansmission because it was no good anymore, i know from talking to the ford dealership that my transmission is an M5R1.
The transmission i got from this guy that said he sold me a M5R1 will not bolt up to my explorer.
IS there multiple different M5R1's or are they all the same?

Yes... The 2.3/2.5, 3.0 and 4.0 all use different versions of the M5r1.

Thank you , i really appreciate the info you have been giving me......... now , hopefully the last question.
Will the internals fit in my case?

If it doesn't bolt up to your Ex, it must be from a Ranger with either the 2.3 engine or the 3.0. Both those versions have lower gear ratios in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. No idea if internals can be swapped.
I think your best bet is to sell the one you bought and find one that came behind a 4.0.

that may very well be what i have to do but i want to explore all options , if the internals will swap over i would rather just go that route. Thank you for the info

Yes, the internals will swap... But as RangerX already said 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are a little different.

I just finished rebuilding the m5r1 from my 4.0 Ex using the parts from a 4 cylinder Ranger's m5r1.

Yes the gears are way different as well as the shafts themselves.

I tried to use the gears and countershaft from the ranger tranny and it all seemed well until I tried to bolt the bearing retainers on and it locked up.

I ended up going babk to my original shaft, bought a used 2nd gear for my 4.0 tranny, and used needle bearings, springs/keys, synchros, and hubs from the Ranger tranny and it worked like a charm.

If you have the time/patience I suggest rebuilding that thing yourself. It wasn;t nearly as hard as I expected and certainly not worth the $850 my local tranny shop was asking for LABOR ONLY on a bench rebuild. How the #### are those kind of people even in business?

I feel the same way about places that do windshields. $300 (just labor) for what I've seen a single guy do in an hour is absurd. By the way, that single guy works out of a cargo van, and did my windshield for $170. That's windshield and labor cost, plus travel. The place I go to have transmissions rebuilt specializes in manual transmissions. The last one I brought, they charged me about $350 for labor plus spider gears. Not bad if you ask me, and that was a front wheel drive car tranny.

Yeah it took me 2 houra on the dot to rebuild it twice essentially. I put one of the sliders on backwards and had to take it all apart to fix it (doh!). Also I don't have any press or bearing splitter so that added a lot of time on there. No frickin way that's a 6+ hour job for a pro with all the right tools.

Back