manual locking hubs on 1995 Ex, 1998 ranger parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual locking hubs on 1995 Ex, 1998 ranger parts?

M.D. Farragher

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mukilteo, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
The question; How to put manual locking hubs and a 1995 EX front axle. The bigger project is an e locker for the Dana 35 IFS, and I think there are two available. One from Eaton, and one from Auburn Gear. Eaton's is open to lock, but Auburn Gear's is limited slip to lock. The latter, in my view, is a a better proposition. Greater value anyway. Regardless, I would want to be able to install manual locking hubs if I did this, and I have found no thread that talks about this mod. My Ex has no hubs, lock or automatic, so it must be done deeper in the axle. It looks like it might be possible to swap in Ranger hubs, and then convert them, but I have found no details. Is it just the hubs, or stub shafts as well? Can anyone shed any light on this mod?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would assume that ranger hub assemblies would fit an explorer but I'm not sure. After 1998 (I believe), Ford changed the Ranger's front end to match the Explorer's. The only difference as far as I know was that the Ranger used pulse vacuum to lock and unlock the hubs while the explorer had a live setup which spun all the time. I would be willing to bet that you can swap your Explorer's hub assembly for a 1998+ Ranger hub assembly with the pulse vacuum setup equipped. At this stage, it should theoretically all fit together but will obviously be nonfunctioning as our Explorers don't have the vacuum setup.

I linked a video below of someone easily swapping out their 1998 Ranger's vacuum hubs for manual ones, so if you can get those Ranger pulse vacuum hubs in your Explorer you should be good to go. That said, they don't look very heavy duty and according to his description indicates that he doubts it will seal the hub perfectly, but you'd have manual hubs!

I'm also on the market for an e-locker. Could you link the two you found?

You could look through the locking hub section on the far right side of this page for possible helpful info The Ford Ranger Axle & Locking Hub Library
Also, years ago, I used to wheel with a few guys that had 2nd gens with front lockers. I believe the thing to do to make that all work was the brown wire mod. I realize having manual hubs would be much better than just disconnecting front axle power (I think that’s what the brown wire mod does) but it’s one easy and cheap option.

For some reason this is stickied in the transmission section.

I did the lockout and added a Lock Right to my D35.

Here's my crapy thread.

I spoke with Auburn Gear about their locker, and triple checked it would fit the D35 IFSes in our 2nd gens. I did not speak with Eaton or the Bronco Graveyard about the Eaton model. Right now I am questioning the need to do the hub mod if I have an elocker in the front axle. It will obviously provide the ability to complete isolate the front differential, so strictly from a wear and tear point of view, this is still a valid option. If I were to go the lunch box lock route, then the hubs are a necessity.

Regarding the need to change out the CV axles for the hub mod., my research lead to the identical part numbers for 1995 Ex's, and 1998 Rangers. Both left and right. So I am a little confused there. With out the need to replace those, the cost comes down somewhat.

For some reason this is stickied in the transmission section.

I did the lockout and added a Lock Right to my D35.

Here's my crapy thread.

Great thread. Never came up in m y searches. Maybe searching is an art. Like I said in my reply to Manta16, I am questioning the need to change out the CV axles as they come up as the same parts in Rockauto lists.

I don't think anyone makes a selectable locker for our d35 which is different then a normal d35, it's lunch box or a few do make LS.

I have a 5.0 which was AWD before the 4406 swap. The Ranger axles are most defiantly different.

The ranger front axle/differential is not different from Explorer.
All 4wd/awd 95-01 Explorer and v6 98-11 Rangers use a dana 35 SLA front differential (and some mercury mountaineers, and Explorer sport and sport trac 01-04) SLA stands for "short long arm" which is the type of torsion sprung IFS suspension these ranger based vehicles use.
With only a couple of exceptions:

The 95-96 V6 explorer was outfitted with a CAD (center axle disconnect)
The 98-99 Ranger had power vacuum hubs

The 95-96 explorer CAD is cool but will not clear the 5.0 oil pan without "massaging" or a drop bracket lift
The 98-99 Ranger PVH are problematic. Vacuum powered hubs usually are as it is hard to get vacuum to seal in a rotating wheel bearing.

Regardless there are NO SELECTABLE LOCKERS for the dana 35 SLA front diff, NONE NADA ZIP

No Eaton, No ARB, no OX
, No Auburn, Nothing! Have your Auburn gear guy check again.......98+ ranger, 95+ explorer dana 35 SLA front diff.... totally different from the earlier reverse rotation TTB front diff and totally different from any Jeep dana 35 rear axle.

The way the CV axle fits the differential is odd, so NOBODY makes a selectable locker for us.

If there were you would not need hubs as you can lock and unlock the lower at will.

Adding the 98-99 ranger PVH hub system to an explorer is totally possible. Not something I would do but it is possible.
You would need 98-99 Ranger CV axles, wheel bearings and knuckles, along with the hubs and vacuum feeds. How you activate the vacuum to the hubs is up to you.
Then there is the aftermarket, the aftermarket mile marker or rough country made a cheap plastic hub for the 98-99 Ranger.... they are made to replace your power vacuum hub with a manual locking hub. Problem is they are not very good...they break EASILY. Not worth the $200+ it takes to buy a set, they barely work on a Ranger let alone a 4 door explorer that weighs double what a Ranger does..........

Anytime I build a 98-99 Ranger the first thing to go in the trash is the PVH system.... we ALWAYS replace this with a 2000+ ranger or Explorer cv axle, wheel bearing setup removing the hub system completely..........as I said the PVH hub system was problematic and weak, Ford ditched it in 2000 and so did I......

The ranger front axle/differential is not different from Explorer.
All 4wd/awd 95-01 Explorer and v6 98-11 Rangers use a dana 35 SLA front differential (and some mercury mountaineers, and Explorer sport and sport trac 01-04) SLA stands for "short long arm" which is the type of torsion sprung IFS suspension these ranger based vehicles use.
With only a couple of exceptions:

The 95-96 V6 explorer was outfitted with a CAD (center axle disconnect)
The 98-99 Ranger had power vacuum hubs

The 95-96 explorer CAD is cool but will not clear the 5.0 oil pan without "massaging" or a drop bracket lift
The 98-99 Ranger PVH are problematic. Vacuum powered hubs usually are as it is hard to get vacuum to seal in a rotating wheel bearing.

Regardless there are NO SELECTABLE LOCKERS for the dana 35 SLA front diff, NONE NADA ZIP

No Eaton, No ARB, no OX
, No Auburn, Nothing! Have your Auburn gear guy check again.......98+ ranger, 95+ explorer dana 35 SLA front diff.... totally different from the earlier reverse rotation TTB front diff and totally different from any Jeep dana 35 rear axle.

The way the CV axle fits the differential is odd, so NOBODY makes a selectable locker for us.

If there were you would not need hubs as you can lock and unlock the lower at will.

Adding the 98-99 ranger PVH hub system to an explorer is totally possible. Not something I would do but it is possible.
You would need 98-99 Ranger CV axles, wheel bearings and knuckles, along with the hubs and vacuum feeds. How you activate the vacuum to the hubs is up to you.
Then there is the aftermarket, the aftermarket mile marker or rough country made a cheap plastic hub for the 98-99 Ranger.... they are made to replace your power vacuum hub with a manual locking hub. Problem is they are not very good...they break EASILY. Not worth the $200+ it takes to buy a set, they barely work on a Ranger let alone a 4 door explorer that weighs double what a Ranger does..........

Anytime I build a 98-99 Ranger the first thing to go in the trash is the PVH system.... we ALWAYS replace this with a 2000+ ranger or Explorer cv axle, wheel bearing setup removing the hub system completely..........as I said the PVH hub system was problematic and weak, Ford ditched it in 2000 and so did I......

410Fortune, Thanks for the reply, and all the valuable data. In the 98-99 ranger builds you do, you wind up with a live axle in the front. Is that correct. Regarding the locker, I hear what you are saying, and respect your experience. However, that being the case, Auburn Gear has gone to great lengths to promote their products for the 1995 Explorer on this page. Could it be they have done something new, or do they just not know what they're talking about.

yes a live axle
same as 97-01 explorer and 2000-11 ranger all factory with live axle....everything in the front axle rotates all the time back to the transfer case

Auburn gear is high on crack...that is a d35 ttb locker

95 explorer has SLA dana 35 front diff

NOT REVERSE ROTATION DANA 35 diff like the old ttb trucks and the jeeps

Here is clue one (from their ad description link you posted):

All Dana 35 axles

Nope the 95-01 explorer 98-11 Ranger front SLA dana 35 is NOT the same as all other dana 35 differentials it is unique to itself which is why auburn does not make an e locker for it I WISH THEY DID!!

Here's your second clue :

"Ford Ranger 4.0L (F), Mazada B4000 (F), Mountaineer 4.0L (F) will work by adding coil spring in right side axle slip yoke assembly. "

They are talking about having to add a spring to the right side axle assembly in a ford ttb 4x4 dana 35 axle setup when the internal C clip is lost from running their locker in your carrier........ I know because my front ARB is the same way and I have had a spring in my right side axle shaft for 15+ years..... This locker is listed incorrectly as fitting a 95 Explorer. It would only fit 89-97 4.0 Rangers/b4000 and 91-94 Explorers/navajo/sport that use the dana 35 TTB
It will not fit any mountaineer that I am aware of since the first year of the mounty is 96.....shall I go on?
What is a mazada?

If you search their site for a 96 Explorer which still uses the sla front ifs, nothing comes up for the dana 35, only rear 8.8

Back