• Register Today It's free!

Map light

RB_low

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02
It is probably simple, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the Map light lens so that I can replace the bulb. 2002 Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mines a 95 but it has a small notch towards the rear of the lens that you can get a coin or screwdriver into. Just pop it off. It is held on by plastic legs on the lens. Be gentle but firm

Welcome to the site.

They are fragile be careful.

This is just another reason why I love this site--thank you!!!

i wanna change the color of my dome lights too

Any one have a solution for this?

I have an 04, trying to swap the bulbs with LED festoons. I got the middle and trunk done no problem as the covers come off easily and give direct access to bulbs. My problem is the front in the upper console area. When I pop the light cover off, the map light assembly is obstructed by the plastic from the console.

Is there a way to pop off the upper console to gain access to the bulbs?

On my 02, what a crappy design. First you have pop the cover from near the mirror, center of the cover. Do NOT pop from the rear.

Next you'll find you can't replace the bulbs because of a hard plastic flap in front of the bulb.

So pull down the entire panel, unplug the wires, unscrew the map light fixture with small torx bit, replace bulbs, re assemble. 5 minute job that ways

On my 02, what a crappy design. First you have pop the cover from near the mirror, center of the cover. Do NOT pop from the rear.

Next you'll find you can't replace the bulbs because of a hard plastic flap in front of the bulb.

So pull down the entire panel, unplug the wires, unscrew the map light fixture with small torx bit, replace bulbs, re assemble. 5 minute job that ways
Same way for 03 XLT.

Back