Might be adding a Mounty to the stable--have some ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Might be adding a Mounty to the stable--have some ??

dhkmom48

Reaction score
City, State
Delevan. NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLS
Have a friend selling a 99 Mounty for $500 and seriously thinking of buying it up and use it as the platform for my lifted rig. He said the body is rough but from what I remember it was better then my Explorer.

Its a v8 with 140,000 on it.

I guess my first question is sheet metal wise what is different between the Explorer and Mountys 98 - 01? Are the fenders, hood and lift gate interchangable? Are just the headlights grill and taillights the only real things that are different?

Just wondering if it will be worth stripping the Explorer as a parts truck for some of the interior and body panels. It will still be around as a field truck for the kids to play with.

Any Mounty specific problems the Explorer didnt have?

Thanks all

I'm guessing no responses means I'm good to go on these parts interchanging?

Seems some good helpful members would clue me in and not let me make a mistake by assuming these interchange...;)

Not looking for an 8 page 90,000+ viewed response here with 90% of the posts telling me what will work and I completely ignore them and keep asking the same question, but if thats the only way to get answers...:rolleyes:

I know the Fenders are the same between the two. I had to replace a LH Fender from my 2000 Mountaineer because the vehicle was stolen, wrecked, and recovered. The Junkyard gave me a Explorer Fender it was a perfect match except lower color.

Everything is identical Mountaineer to Explorer other than the parts with badges and front end parts (header panel, Headlights, corners and Grill in 98+ and just grill in 97 models).

Heck if you don't want it I'll go $600 on it if it runs and drives, I want to do a v8 ranger ha ha

Back