Modern aftermarket headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modern aftermarket headlights?

Does anyone offer any type of replacement headlights with a more modern look? The only thing I don't like about the look of my 01 XLT is the headlights --they are yellowed and nasty and make the whole truck look bad.

I've already changed out the taillights with something far nicer, but now I want to do the headlights too. I've tried the clear-corner style, and that did look decent for a while until they yellowed too. Help!

Thanks,
Blue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK -- I just did some searching around here and I guess there aren't any products like I'm looking for. I should have figured that if I was having this problem that lots of others were too.

So now I'm looking at the best way of cleaning the ones that I have. From what I found searching, it sounds like my best bet is to clean the insides of the lights with whitewall cleaner, then the outsides with the 3M plastic cleaner. Has anyone found anything better recently?

Also, is there an easy way to get the headlights off? I've removed the turn/corner lights before and that's pretty easy, but it looks like a different story with the headlights themselves. I don't want to break them or do something where they would be hard to put back on.

they are not real easy to get off, but you can certainly do it without breaking them or anything.

there are diamond cut headlamps available for your truck (do a search for them), but there are no matching corners so if you have them it will look funny because it wont match at all up front. Your other choice is to convert to the 01 mountaineer headlights as i've done, but its real expensive if your not real serious about making your explorer look and function better.

I looked at your page, those headlights do look better. I might want to do that, but it looks like I would have to change the grille too, which I'm not really excited about.

Maybe I'll check eBay and see what kinda parts are sitting out there. Thanks.

oh yeah, i had to swap a ton of parts. like i said its not really a reasonable option unless your trying ot make a show truck.

there are really no options other than those "diamond cut" ones

expo5.0 said:
there are diamond cut headlamps available for your truck (do a search for them), but there are no matching corners so if you have them it will look funny because it wont match at all up front.

I beg to differ. I put a set of diamond cuts on my X this past weekend and they look HOT. Sure, they don't match my corners but it doesn't matter. I much prefer the look over the stockers.

bluevolume said:
Also, is there an easy way to get the headlights off? I've removed the turn/corner lights before and that's pretty easy, but it looks like a different story with the headlights themselves. I don't want to break them or do something where they would be hard to put back on.

I just swapped out my stock headlights with the Diamond Cuts and take my word for it, the best way to get your headlights out is to remove the entire grille shell. It always gets in the way otherwise. I would have saved a LOT of time this past Friday if I had done that. Instead, the grille shell popped out on its own as I was trying to get the headlights out. Once out, it took seconds to get the lights out.

Please don't ask me how to remove the grille shell. It "just happened" for me. ;)

I'm sure someone has detailed instructions posted somewhere on here.

remove all of the visible screws, carefully pull the 4 compression clips out that hold it in. the clips are centrally located on the grille and you'll figure out where they are quite easily use a screwdriver or other tool to compress them as you pull them out.

i still maintain that the diamond headlights look like ricer crap for the time being since the corners don't match, no offense to you (particularly because if i didn't have my conversion i'd have them on my truck, no lie, i think they are ricer crap looking, but still far better than stock true)

expo5.0 said:
i still maintain that the diamond headlights look like ricer crap for the time being since the corners don't match

Just a quick question. Have you seen them in real life? Photos don't do the setup justice. They definitely look BETTER than stock and look like they belong. My X is far from "rice". If it was, I'd have those horrible blue beams and neon here and there. My X is pretty stock looking outside of the tinted tails and the diamonds. Stock headlights look dull compared to the new lights. I was skeptical when I saw photos of the setup myself. I was very pleased with the actual results and I can't stand the look of rice-mobiles. I have enough kids living in my neighbourhood with butt ugly Civics and Neons with whiny exhausts to know rice.

p.s. I probably wouldn't even bother with Diamond corners because I'm not convinced they'd look right. Sort of like 95% of the Altezzas out there. Ick.

i've seen them in person

Attachments

• showdrewandmike.JPG
    showdrewandmike.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 269

hard to see them in that picture though

Hmm, re: ricer comments, I won't even comment on the photo, but are you sure it's the lights that makes it appear ricer to you? ;)

Diversity of opinion is a good thing. A LOT of folks who scored diamond cuts from previous group buys love em. Count me as one of those.

Cheers.....

are you suggesting the stock explorer in the picture with mine looks ricey? it has rims, and is mildly lowered... but thats really it how is that ricey?

Celly, don't get me wrong I love my 'diamond' headlights, but I don't think they look right with the stock turn signals or even my clear corners. Diamond cut turn signals would make a world of a difference, but it doesn't look like they're ever going to be in production. :(

Thats specifically the reason I'm slowly acquiring parts for the mountie conversion...

Attachments

• detail 024-small.JPG
    detail 024-small.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 254

Well, all the uneeded rice comments aside, there is nothing else out there to improve the headlights and keep the Explorer looks. Not everyone wants to look like a Merc. Although I don't know why not :D

yeah, like i said above i'd have them if i didn't have the stuff i have now- but if i had them i wouldn't really like the way they didn't match and i'd find it ricey. I'm not attacking those who have them, just giving my opinion or what not.

Bill- what is going on with yoiur grille? do you only have 4 vertical bars?

expo5.0 said:
are you suggesting the stock explorer in the picture with mine looks ricey? it has rims, and is mildly lowered... but thats really it how is that ricey?

All I'm suggesting is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

thats true, unless its in the eyes of the judges or the beer holder

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scormunch said:
Celly, don't get me wrong I love my 'diamond' headlights, but I don't think they look right with the stock turn signals or even my clear corners. Diamond cut turn signals would make a world of a difference, but it doesn't look like they're ever going to be in production. :(

I hear ya re: diamond cut corners will probably never come to fruition. If they did materialize, I'd probably consider them, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having them. I'm 100% satisfied with the look of my new and improved X as it stands right now. Anything else would just be gravy. ;)

Back