• Register Today It's free!

Moon Roof Wind Noise Problems

Fordvirgin

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Ford Explorer Limited
I have had my 2012 Explorer LTD for 9 weeks and I got to open my sun/moon roof for the first time yesterday. Problem is...not that it is closed there is a horrible wind noise coming from it! When I closed it i made sure I was parked so there was no resistance from the wind. Any suggestions? :(sigh...things were going so well...:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my 2012 Explorer LTD for 9 weeks and I got to open my sun/moon roof for the first time yesterday. Problem is...not that it is closed there is a horrible wind noise coming from it! When I closed it i made sure I was parked so there was no resistance from the wind. Any suggestions? :(sigh...things were going so well...:(
Sorry to hear about that. Have you confirmed that it is really closed all the way? Take a look from the outside/roof. It almost sounds like it may have jammed on something. If you haven't already done so, open and close it a few times and see if you still have the problem.

Peter

Moon roof wind noise

A couple of times in the last few weeks, I've noticed significant wind noise related to the dual panel moon roof of our 2013 Ex. The roof is closed and and I opened/closed it to make sure. It seems to be more related to the rear moon roof part. Seems somewhat related to the direction of travel related to the wind conditions.

I don't really drive it enough to say whether it had always been like this or not. Common issue?

-- Bud

A couple of times in the last few weeks, I've noticed significant wind noise related to the dual panel moon roof of our 2013 Ex. The roof is closed and and I opened/closed it to make sure. It seems to be more related to the rear moon roof part. Seems somewhat related to the direction of travel related to the wind conditions.

I don't really drive it enough to say whether it had always been like this or not. Common issue?

-- Bud
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. It seems to be the only other one on this issue. Unfortunately, the original poster has never said if the problem ever was resolved.

Peter

A couple of times in the last few weeks, I've noticed significant wind noise related to the dual panel moon roof of our 2013 Ex...

Hi Bud,

Have you mentioned this to your dealership? If not, I'd recommend bringing this to their attention the next time you're in for a service appointment. I can also check out ways to help; PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi Bud,

Have you mentioned this to your dealership? If not, I'd recommend bringing this to their attention the next time you're in for a service appointment. I can also check out ways to help; PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thanks Crystal. Has not been to the dealer yet. I'll send you a note and I'll have my wife take it by the dealer to have it checked and report back. -- Bud

Just a quick update. Finally got my wife to take it in for the wind noise issue. This past weekend we were on a longer trip and the wind noise was driving me nuts. I ended up looking at the moonroof a bit closer and it turns out the moonroof glass had dropped below the rest of the truck roof about a 1/4" at the trailing edge of the moonroof and the truck roof was creating drag and subsequent wind noise. Once I figured that out, I bought a roll of packing tape to McGyver up a fix that smoothed out the edge and no more wind noise. Yeah!

It went to the dealer yesterday. They said that the moonroof seal was failing and needs to be replaced. The entire moonroof assembly needs to be replaced I guess since it is a single assembly and the seal can't be replaced. The dealer had to submit documentation to Ford to get it approved since it will be a fairly significant repair. To replace the moonroof, they need to tear apart the headliner.

I'm happy it is getting fixed but not so happy about paying for a rental for four days -- two days to diagnose and get approval and two days to fix. :-(

I'll give another update when the repair is complete. -- Bud

P.S. Crystal was excellent in following up with me on this issue. Thanks.

P.S.S. I'm attaching a picture that shows the issue and my McGyver job

gWIwJqgl.jpg

I just picked up a 2014 Limited with identical problem of wind noise in rear panel. Hope this is not a lemon but I am very concerned that local dealer does not have expertise to make correct repair.

Rubber seal on mine had separated from rear portion of fixed moon roof glass. This was also the source of waterleak on mine many of us have complained about. Just jump up and look at seal around glass to make sure it is still attached to glass. If not, entire glass has to be replaced. Covered under warranty if still in effect.

Thanks, keeping my fingers crossed and will report what the "findings" are on Thursday.

Rear pane on moon roof

Gasket was distorted unable to be adjusted by dealer. Dealer made adjustments but only got worse.

Now they are ordering a new rear glass with seal. Should know in a week if this is competed or not.

2014 Explorer Limit Dual Panel Moonroof Wind Noise

First time posting to this forum, so hopefully I am doing this right. :)

We have a 2014 Limited with approximately 45,000 miles on it. Wind noise from the rear of the stationary panel started about 6 months ago and gradually has gotten worse to the point where we now have water leaking through.

Finally able to get car to dealership and they tell me that the seal needs to be replaced, but that my Extended Service Contract does NOT cover this kind of repair. I forget the name of the contract I purchased but they "guaranteed" me when I bought the car new in July 2012 that this contact would basically extend the 3/36K warranty and that everything would be covered. They told me I would be better off trading in the car, but SURPRISE....they want to take the cost of the repairs off of the trade value.

My bad not taking the car in before the 36,000 miles was up, but I figured we had the extended coverage so what's the hurry.....and this is obviously a factory issue and not something that I created.

Any help or feedback on how to deal with items being covered on extended service contracts would be greatly appreciated.

Moon Roof noise

Replacement glass and seal took care of my problem. It was handled under warranty, regular factory.

The cost of the job was around $1,500.

Don't know why your extended warranty company will not honor.

First time posting to this forum, so hopefully I am doing this right. :)

We have a 2014 Limited with approximately 45,000 miles on it. Wind noise from the rear of the stationary panel started about 6 months ago and gradually has gotten worse to the point where we now have water leaking through.

Finally able to get car to dealership and they tell me that the seal needs to be replaced, but that my Extended Service Contract does NOT cover this kind of repair. I forget the name of the contract I purchased but they "guaranteed" me when I bought the car new in July 2012 that this contact would basically extend the 3/36K warranty and that everything would be covered. They told me I would be better off trading in the car, but SURPRISE....they want to take the cost of the repairs off of the trade value.

My bad not taking the car in before the 36,000 miles was up, but I figured we had the extended coverage so what's the hurry.....and this is obviously a factory issue and not something that I created.

Any help or feedback on how to deal with items being covered on extended service contracts would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
There are items listed in the PremiumCare ESP brochure that are not covered and among them are wind noise, weather strips and moldings.

Peter

Replacement glass and seal took care of my problem. It was handled under warranty, regular factory.

The cost of the job was around $1,500.

Don't know why your extended warranty company will not honor.
See my reply to Dollboys.
Also, please add the 'model' of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margins. Thanks.

Peter

shame, Ford should honor as this is a routine problem/issue with the glass..

Back