More power needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More power needed

I just finished my first trip using a newly acquired (from my brother) 1999 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer (4.0 SOHC, automatic transmission, 4WD) to pull a travel trailer, 19' - 4000# with water etc. The engine needs more power. I can live with the 10 to 11 MPG while towing, but I would like more power up the hills. Chip? Headers?

I just finished my first trip using a newly acquired (from my brother) 1999 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer (4.0 SOHC, automatic transmission, 4WD) to pull a travel trailer, 19' - 4000# with water etc. The engine needs more power. I can live with the 10 to 11 MPG while towing, but I would like more power up the hills. Chip? Headers?

There's a post regarding the max capacities on the truck... shows the rear gears (3.55)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1590770&postcount=3

Sounds like you're maxed out with a SOHC at 4,500 lbs.

Poster has probably already given up and sold the truck, but you probably need to check your gear ratio and regear as necessary. A 4.0 SOHC really shouldn't have problems towing that load IMO, but with any less than 4.10 gears it will struggle on hills, and you will be working the hell out of your torque converter to make up for the lack of gearing when moving from a standstill. Check your door tags to find out what gear ratio you have.

Back