more transmission trouble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

more transmission trouble

Reaction score
City, State
Cartersville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
well i gave up on fixing the 2-3 shift problem, but i have another problem that is really a pain, the transmission shifts up through the gears fine, but when its warm it doesnt want to downshift.. it takes off in high gear, and even at full throttle it wont kick down at all,,but if you pull the shift lever down itll go right into whichever gear you select. anybody else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i did all that work,, replacing those dumb things and it didnt make one single bit of difference in the shifting or the not downshifting problem :| i expected some results out of that

is there anything else for me to check? when the o/d off light is flashing that makes me think that theres a code in there, since the computer is seeing theres a problem,, but how do i get that code? i have an actron "super auto scanner" and that doesnt do much of anything except read engine problem codes. would this be a shift solenoid problem maybe?

what sensors/solenoids make it downshift? at least i can shift it manualy but when your driving on a road with alot of hills and straightaways it gets old

I was wondering about the speed sensor, but the speedometer works fine so I guess that isn't the problem. The TPS is interesting though. At idle it's at 19-20% throttle it says, is that what it's supposed to be? When you're driving, and watching the scanner, it shows the throttle position go up, then back down without letting off the pedal.

Back