most reliable year for 3rd gen explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

most reliable year for 3rd gen explorer

timmy96815

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI
Hi, Thanks for help on the other post. I am trying to decide what year would be best for my 3rd gen that I am planning to buy. My first instinct was 2005 but the 2002`s are cheaper so I was looking at them but I read on kbb.com that there are many transmission problems with the 2002, 2003 and 2004 models.

What does anybody think is the best year for reliability on the 3rd gen explorer? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

05 for sure if you have the coin, to be honest most rides after 02 are built quite well, no friday or monday lemons.

Well, I don:t have the coin right now, this is a future venture and it is purely kind of a luxury for me. I will only be using it for fishing, hunting and taking people around for fun. We have a 06 prius now that we use for everything. But with our family of 3 it will be nice to have my own personal car that I don:t have to share with anybody. If the 05 is the best that only means I will have to wait a little longer to get it.

Thanks for the advice. It is kind of what I thought too.

My wife has had an 03 4.0 for 2.5 years now. The only work we've done on it was front wheel bearings. Other than that it has been problem free.

I have had an 05 4.6 for almost 2 years now and it too has been problem free.

As was stated above, avoid 02 if you can and you should be ok from there.

Hope that helps a bit.

Yeah, I think anything 2003-2005 you'll be fine. It's the same truck. You're probably better off getting a well maintained 2003 or 2004 as it will be the most inexpensive.

03-05

You are going to have a lot of the same "typical" issues associated with any of the 3rd gen's since the parts are interchangable. These issues are wheel bearing failure, whiny rear differential, rear window panel cracking, and minor electrical issues that are easily remedied (door ajar light on, 4x4 module failure, etc).

I've had a few extra things happen on my 03 which now has 135k miles....fuel pump failure and complete cooling system replacement, along with the common wheel bearing failure and whiny rear differential.

All-in-all it's been a reliable truck, much more good than bad.

I have had X - 2005 for 15 months now. No problem except at some point I shall change the fuel pump as the sending unit fails to send signal at a certain point in the fuel tank. I am no rush to change, as it does not hamper anything. Otherwise the truck runs like a breeze – transmission, engine etc. Also as 05 is the last in line for Gen 3 most of the bugs are worked out.

Thanks everybody, It looks like I will start my search for a '03. Any input and suggestions will be read and carefully considered.

Peace out.

03-05.....and whiny rear differential.
All-in-all it's been a reliable truck, much more good than bad.

Please elaborate a bit on the noisy rear diff. Has that been a common complaint on these vehicles? We have just gotten an '04, and I note the differential housing seems to not be exactly similar to the old 8.8"; I figured they simply used 8.8 center sections when they went to independent susp., but apparently not.

Ours has a hum which is not very pronounced, present only under load, not coasting, not bad enough to suggest pending gear problems.

Thanks. imp

look for a later production 03, just to be sure your clear from the 02 trans issues, and your good to rock fella !

Back