motor knocking very loudly

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
I don't know if I should ask this here, but everyone has been helpful in the past with this car.

My G/F drives a POS 89 merc. tracer wagon. when we bought it it ran like a champ 130,000 miles.
Within 6 months we had a haeadache. I reall don't want to list it all, so let's just say that I have replaced dang near anything that bolts on, every belt (timing included), and most of the hoses and tubes. I have three main issues to address, and want to do them in my garage.

It runs good now except for these LOL

There is a extremely loud knock coming from the upper left of the motor. I assume stuck valve/lifter/rocker, or something similar. What would I do to verify this and correct it?

Upon starting she often "smokes out" the neighborhood for a bit till the car is warm. The smoke is very pale blue but copious. My suspicion is that she is having oil (just a little) leaking into the cylinders through a blown gasket or such.
How can I locate the source, and does this sound likely.

Last of course is the unidentified oil leak. I have searched and searched, but there is just oil everywhere!
It seems to be freshest on the bottom of the motor in the general area of the crankshaft. Yet on top of the transaxle there is little puddles of oil. they are oil not atf.

So, I am basicly fishing for thoughts on this.
I would like to be able to repair/rebuild it to get by for another 30,000 to 50,000 at which time the truck is paid for and we can by a new vehicle for her.
I have never attempted anything quite like this, but have moderate mechanical skills and great problem solving abilities. Can I fix this by myself? To further hinder me, there is no Haynes, Chilton, or any other manual for this car that I can find. Parts are another issue to replace the timing belt cover we had to order the last part listed in the nation from a dealer back east.

I have discovered however that this 1.6L 4 cylinder happens to actually be a Mazda motor. Potentially the same as that in the 323's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about dropping in a rebuilt engine? At 130K the valve guide seals, rings, and who knows what could be bad. You'd have to run some compression leak down tests.

I don't have any idea about a 89 Mazda... $600 for a engine + labor? If you got the time and some tools then go for the diy rebuild.

I got a 92 econobox for a couple hundered bucks. Nice car but smoked like crazy and wouldn't pass smog test.

All it needed was $50 bucks in valve stem seals and a new timing belt. So a weekend of work and now I have a sweet little POS to drive around.

Now it's running clean and only burns 1 qt about every 3000 miles.

Oh and you are right it is all mazda. You should be able to get chiltons or haynes books on the engine. Go for it, fix it yourself. It's not like you are working on a S500 Benz. Old beaters like that are great to learn on :)

Back