• Register Today It's free!

1997 stand alone

Taube

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer awd
Hey guys I have a complete 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 with complete wiring and eec. What do I need to do to get it to run on the engine stand ? Any wiring diagram s would be great. And if anyone else has done it ?

PXL_20201108_025649372.jpg

PXL_20201108_025646830.jpg

PXL_20201108_025651654.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can say u probably want to go with a standalone harness for the 5.0 idk if u are gonna be able to use that harness... If u have to get a new one rather than making a bunch of spaghetti...i suppose if u have a week to wire it up u could do it with all the wires connected.

I can say u probably want to go with a standalone harness for the 5.0 idk if u are gonna be able to use that harness... If u have to get a new one rather than making a bunch of spaghetti...i suppose if u have a week to wire it up u could do it with all the wires connected.
I don't think all wires will need power just like the starter circuit and such 🙄🙄

Yea it might be hard with no transponder chip do u have the ignition? Coil packs ECT but u could pump ur own fuel

Here's what I know and think. The black plug comes from inside the car. So I think bunch of wires power up stuff to the eec and another bunch are like signal wires back to the car like oil pressure water temp fuel pump on off. Really need to know what all the wires are in that connection. 1997 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0

Yea it might be hard with no transponder chip do u have the ignition? Coil packs ECT but u could pump ur own fuel
This truck has no transponder key. It was just a normal key cut at like parts store. So I am pretty sure it doesn't have that type of key. Maybe started in 98 ??

And yes I have all the parts

U dont need ignition but u will need a diode for ignition wires as shown in the diagram.

That being a 1997, it has no PATs, so any key will do. Which 97 is that, what was the date of manufacture, or what does the intake elbow look like? A late 97 is the best for engine swaps. The 96 and early 97's have a flat intake elbow, late 98 to 2001 have an elbow with a rounded top(and EGR pipe to the manifold). The difference for those affect the transmission wiring and the DTRS, the trans range sensor.

That being a 1997, it has no PATs, so any key will do. Which 97 is that, what was the date of manufacture, or what does the intake elbow look like? A late 97 is the best for engine swaps. The 96 and early 97's have a flat intake elbow, late 98 to 2001 have an elbow with a rounded top(and EGR pipe to the manifold). The difference for those affect the transmission wiring and the DTRS, the trans range sensor.
Mine is the earlier 97

it can be done, there are only like 12 wires that interface with the truck, you can make that 97 computer happy enough to start and run on a stand for sure..........

it can be done, there are only like 12 wires that interface with the truck, you can make that 97 computer happy enough to start and run on a stand for sure..........
Ok great how ??? What wires in that black connect need power ??

Ok great how ??? What wires in that black connect need power ??
U gotta make a harness... Connect the essential sensors like crank position ECT you will need the plugs that attach to those sensors for sure. Ur going to have to hotwire the ignition and ur battery is only going to the starter and the computer power.

okay so to ask me "how" is like a loaded question. I mean what are you doing here? Are you simply trying to get this thing to run and shift while on a stand or are you actually putting it into a truck?
I have over 80 hours of research just in my 1988 Bronco II goes 97 5.0 drivetrain harness....... this is not something where you just say hookup these 4 wires to power, these ones to acc power and those to ground then turn the key.... its not quite that simple. I have never run one on a "stand" but I always say I could......
I help many people with their wiring projects, but I cannot hold everyones hand
You need to give us some ideas of what you are trying to accomplish
So let me ask you this
Do you have the 97 5.0 wiring book? schematics?

Step 1 is to build a map on paper of what all of those wires are that you are looking at on the c115 (42 PIN) connector.
Once you know what each wire is, where it is headed and why then we can help you get closer to your goal
There are mid year wiring changes on these trucks, wire colors change, wire locations also change in that 42 pin connector.
So YOU need to make a map of what wires YOU have in your hands....

Just FYI all fords from 96+ use a similar 42 pin connector
That IS a stand alone drivetrain harness..........everything you need to make that 5.0 start and run is right there in that one connector ASIDE from the alternator charging harness and battery harness
Since the power distribution box stays with the truck you will need to provide battery power, battery ground and some sort of ignition switch at the very least

Ok thanks for all the info so far guys. So I want to fire the engine up on the engine stand. I have all the wiring and even the whole truck still. There is one main connection black. I ll include a pic. That disconnected the whole harness from the truck. I left the eec and it's plug together and pulled the engine. I was thinking that I could put power where it's needed to that black plug. And power up the starter relay and it should run. Cause that main black plug comes from inside the truck. Leave the eec and it's wiring alone. Also no don't have the wiring diagram of that black plug.

PXL_20201119_201426910~2.jpg

PXL_20201119_201422727.jpg

More pics that black connect goes to the eec. So I assume that's where it gets its power and sends back signal s back to the truck like oil pressure tach and such. So I guess anyone have that wiring diagram or where can I get it ?

PXL_20201108_025649372.jpg

PXL_20201108_025646830.jpg

PXL_20201108_025651654.jpg

that black plug is the 42 pin connector I am speaking of
every wire to control your drivetrain (engine trans) all go through there EXCEPT the fuel tank wiring and alternator charging harness

You need to map out that 42 pin connector, get yourself a 97 explorer wiring book

IN the explorer that plug is called connector C115 I believe, in a Ranger its C112..... they change the name but it is always 42 pins, they all plug together and MOST of the wires/circuits stay in the same holes...but not always and there are MID YEAR changes, so this is why nobody can make a simple chart of how to control your 5.0 drivetrain. You have to map out the one you have!! and then decide what wires need power, ground, signals, etc.......

Then you will need to give the engine fuel pressure and a return line (36 psi at the rail for a 97)

and then you can start it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that black plug is the 42 pin connector I am speaking of
every wire to control your drivetrain (engine trans) all go through there EXCEPT the fuel tank wiring and alternator charging harness

You need to map out that 42 pin connector, get yourself a 97 explorer wiring book

IN the explorer that plug is called connector C115 I believe, in a Ranger its C112..... they change the name but it is always 42 pins, they all plug together and MOST of the wires/circuits stay in the same holes...but not always and there are MID YEAR changes, so this is why nobody can make a simple chart of how to control your 5.0 drivetrain. You have to map out the one you have!! and then decide what wires need power, ground, signals, etc.......

Then you will need to give the engine fuel pressure and a return line (36 psi at the rail for a 97)

and then you can start it

That sounds almost easy.

Can you just start it up on the engine stand without a trans?

Back