• Register Today It's free!

Mountineer => Chip in key?

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
Do the second generation Mountaineers really have a chip inside the key? That's what someone told me when I tried to get the key copied. I've never had any trouble copying the key for my 97 Explorer. If this is true, how do I copy the key?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes its true, you need to get the key programed at the dealer. But If you have 2 keys you can program a third by following a certain procedure of cycling the 2 keys in the ignition, then cycling the third, after you get it cut.

Do a search for programing the keys im sure you will find something.

If the metal portion of any FORD key has a "P" or an "S" stamped into it, than the key has a chip in it.

If the metal portion of any FORD key has a "P" or an "S" stamped into it, than the key has a chip in it.

My Explorer has an S on it and it's been copied numerous times without a problem. I thought the "S" stood for "spare".

Hmm.. interesting. I've never had any trouble with spare keys and my Explorer. I wonder if the previous owner had disabled this Securilock system... they did have a remote starter installed (which I've since removed). How would I check to see if the system was disabled?

The link that kert0307 listed above will tell you that. it has to do with the blinking light.

I thought PATS came before SecuriLock? Or maybe not... I know my '99 Explorer has PATS.

When your Explorer is completely shut off, and the key is out of the ignition, is there a red light in the instrument panel that flashes? It usually lights up when you start the car, too, it's a red light that says "THEFT"

Hmm.. interesting. I've never had any trouble with spare keys and my Explorer. I wonder if the previous owner had disabled this Securilock system... they did have a remote starter installed (which I've since removed). How would I check to see if the system was disabled?

It could be remnants of the the remote starter system that is bypassing the security system. When I put a remote starter on my wife's 2000 Taurus, I had to buy a little box that got wired into the SecuriLock/Pats system (that I had to program using the chipped keys) so it would start without the key, but it was noted in the instructions for the remote starter that the previous way to get around the SecuriLock/Pats system was a small box that was placed under the steering beneath the plastic (so it can't be seen with out removing the plastic around the column) that you would put a spare key with a chip in it. There was some kind of wire that was wrapped around the key, and then around the ignition to fool the system into thinking that there was a chipped key in the ignition.

If I were you, I'd take the plastic off the bottom of the steering column and see if you have another key stashed under there somewhere, maybe in a black box with a wire running to where the key goes in.

:usa: If your truck had a remote start at one point you better start looking for a "broken key" inside your dashboard.
What these alarm guys do is have you bring in a second key that they break the theeth off and stick the Chip portion into the dash so remote start can be achieved.

I've never heard or seen anyone breaking the teeth off the keys and putting it in, you either just get a key programmed and not cut, or get it cut and programmed and use it, or just use there second key. There are 'kits' that you can buy with a box to put it in, but it's a waste of money. We use cat5 cable (break it apart and use the seperate wires in it) much cheaper. But we only use it on subaru's, volvo's, audi's, vw's, etc. For all the domestic cars we just use Bypasskits. There stuff works awesome.

Securilock is just a new name for PATS, just antoher generation of it. Your 97 has pats1.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/help/glossary/

and scroll down to Anti-Theft Systems.

Back