Mounting an Amplifier to the Bottom of a Seat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting an Amplifier to the Bottom of a Seat

cmphk9

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
So, I'm putting an amp in my 2001 ST and I'm trying to think of where to mount it. Then, someone else thought why not secure it upside down to the bottom of the rear passenger seat? What is ya'lls opinions on this?

Could it overheat? OR...

Will it be fine (there is about 3-4 inches below where the amp would be until you hit the floor). I've heard that as long as there is airflow over it, shouldn't matter which way it is facing, just let the heatsink do its job.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I'm putting an amp in my 2001 ST and I'm trying to think of where to mount it. Then, someone else thought why not secure it upside down to the bottom of the rear passenger seat? What is ya'lls opinions on this?

Could it overheat? OR...

Will it be fine (there is about 3-4 inches below where the amp would be until you hit the floor). I've heard that as long as there is airflow over it, shouldn't matter which way it is facing, just let the heatsink do its job.

Thanks

Heat rises, so mounting your amp to the bottom of the seat would be a no go, as the heat would have no where to go. You are better off mounting it under the seat, bolting it to the floor.

Most amps don't like the upside-down mounting. If it were the rear deck of a car, you'd probably be OK. There just isn't enough airflow under your seat.

My amp is on the floor under my rear seats. It works fine there. Only issue is that when I want to fold the seats down, I have to slide the amp forward about 1" so the seat is not right up against it when it folds down. It depends on the size of your amp though, it might be small enough to not have to go over the bump on the floor in the middle.
http://agprojects.net/pictures/truck/amp1.jpg
http://agprojects.net/pictures/truck/amp2.jpg

I have a 4dr xlt though, so it may be different for you.

Well, I have 2 amps in the rear storage of the 03. They have been there for some time now... Before that I had three smaller amps in there. I never had problems with them... Granted, I wouldn't attach an amp to a seat because the seat moves, and you want your connections to remain still. It would be a mistake to mount an amp to a movable object, just for the fact that the connections need to remain untouched. Also, when you turn on the heater in your vehicle, that heat travels under your seat. Not a good combo...

Back