Mounting lights behind grille | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting lights behind grille

I am thinking about taking my bar off the front of my truck but I want to keep my PIAA 40's on the truck still without mounting them on the bumper. Does anyone know if it is possible to mount them behind the grille somehow? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen it done on F-150's without problem, might require some custom bracketry to be made up though, I've never tried it...

I've also seen it done on F-150s. Check out this link; is this what you are looking to do??
Maybe you can ask this guy. http://www.explorer4x4.com/andrew.html

[Edited by Stephen S on 02-13-2001 at 02:36 PM]

Does anyone have any pics of the F-150's? and Does anyone have any ideas on how I would go about making these brackets? Thanks in advance.

Another thing, Would mounting them behind the grille affect my radiator or air flow into the engine at all? Thanks again.

get this from explorerexpress and just take out those lights and put in yours

designlight
square tube grille with lights preinstalled
maximum legal wattage fog or driving lights
chrome finish standard. Special order black finish also available
includes switch/relay kit

I already have a billet grille and I don't like the look of lights actually in the grille itself but I have a picture of a dropped Navigator with lights behind the grille and it looks really cool and I was trying to reproduce that.

if you can go check out a cop car several of the unmarked cars have lights mounted behind the grille. also check out galls.com they might have something. also go to the dealership and ask because the explorer was offered with a police package and it probably had lights behind the grille. if you already have a billet grille though, i wonder how much light would emit out being blocked and all.

Next time I go home, I am going to put one of the lights behind the grille and see how it works out and I think I will probably just end up rigging up something custom.

So how did this turn out, I'm interested in mounting my PIAA 1400's behind the grille, seems like a safe spot for them. I found this at galls http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProductDetail.jsp?item=GR105
but it doesn't have any dimensions, based on the picture it looks too wide for my 1400s.
So any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Mark

Back