Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer

After saying goodbye to my 1992 Explorer in 2004, i've always wanted to get another 1st gen. Yesterday it actually happened when i took ownership of The Black Goblin, a 1991 Explorer 4x4. :D IT currently has less than 88,000 miles on the odometer, with the original engine and a replaced/rebuilt auto trans.

Here's a list of the modifications that I know of:

I believe it's a 4" rough country lift, with upper shock mount from '78 bronco and limit straps
the rear consists of add-a-leaf and autozone lift shackles
32" mud tires
15" American Racing 8 hole wheels
4:56 gears w/ factory rear trac-lock
open-air filter not currently installed
cherrybomb turbo muffler
big red front bumper and skidplate with 4 light mounts (Sold)
billet grill
aftermarket headunit and 2 subs inbox (subs gone)
center console from 92-94 explorer
CB radio under dash
hi-lift jack

Also, James, the previous owner, has gone through the vehicle and replaced just about every accessory in the engine bay.

COMING SOON:
35" M/Ts
locker (powertrax no-slip in the rear)
new front tube bumper and skidplate
electric driver seat

COMING LATER:
manual hubs
rear bumper w/ tire carrier
fiberglass front fenders (maybe)
deaver leaf springs
BTF cut and turned beams
KMC Enduro wheels
clear corners
...and one day, painted to match my green mountaineer

Here are some pictures the day after i brought it home.

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01046.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hope you make it to t-haven!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The reman'd is $57 i think and the new one is $75. Not a huge difference i know, but i of course would like to spend only as much as i need to.

Anyone know about the steering box? The thumbnail pics of the items on rockauto don't really even look like what i need. And fast parts network doesn't have any pics. I'd ideally like to have this done next weekend so i have the option to go to truckhaven.

My current plan is to get this truck to truckhaven in less than 2 weeks. I got the steering situation under control, if all goes well it'll be tackled and completed this coming saturday. I'll check a couple junkyards and if i can't find one the local autozone has one in stock. I just ordered a new t-case motor, it was only $18 more than a remanufactured one and i wont have to ship my current one in and pay $9 to ship that. Next up is exhaust, the muffler is literally hanging on by a wire right now (coat hanger :D). Then i need to adjust the coil spring bucket down on the passenger side to lift it even with the driverside, move the limit strap tabs up on the frame, install front bumpstops and towhooks, and get some spacers between the front shocks. I'll get an alignment if i have time but there might not be a point if i drive the truck as hard as i'd ideally like to ;). It would be even better if i could swap the trailer hitch to the mountaineer, rent a trailer and tow the explorer out there. :D But don't count on it. That's everything to get the thing driveable/wheelable, there's a lot more on the list though. Wish me luck.

That sounds like a lot of work... what else is there on the list to do?

Drivers window doesn't move up/down without my help, passenger front door wont open for some reason, some little things i can't think of right now. But those aren't crucial for driving.

If I understand what your doing, you looking for a steering box for a 1st Gen X? If so, keep in mind that that box was used in Rangers, Explorers, f-150, f-250, e-150 and e-250's.. (I'm not sure about the one tons)..

You should be able to find one pretty easy.. But you will most likely have to change your pitman arm as the different vehicles have different drop.

~Mark

If I understand what your doing, you looking for a steering box for a 1st Gen X? If so, keep in mind that that box was used in Rangers, Explorers, f-150, f-250, e-150 and e-250's.. (I'm not sure about the one tons)..

You should be able to find one pretty easy.. But you will most likely have to change your pitman arm as the different vehicles have different drop.

~Mark

Ya know i could find one on a number of different vehicles which should make it easier. But wouldn't i just use the pitman arm that i have on the explorer right now?

Exactly.. use your current pitman arm on the new to you steering box. I just wanted to make sure you knew that you were most likely going to be swapping pitman arms so you had the right tools available.

~Mark

I just noticed your response Maniak, is there a certian tool i'll need to remove and reinstall the pitman arm, and where could i get it? BTW, what's the drop measurement of the stock pitman arm so i can go see if mine is stock or not.

I don't know the stock drop on the explorer pitman arm as we haven't had stock on our X in years..

If its still light out when I get home I"ll see if I can measure how much drop our drop pitman arm has.. (I "think" ours is 2" drop more than stock)

There are pitman arm pullers.. They are nicer to use on the steering box than a big pickle fork since the pickle fork puts some impact onto the box. If your pitman arm is really stuck the cheap pitman arm pullers will break (I've broken one from harbor freight tools).

~Mark

i usually just rent a pitman arm puller from autozone. except i kept using the "loaner tool" pitman arma so much that i just bought my own.

stock pitman drops about an 1" and im pretty sure you have a drop pitman arm.

i usually just rent a pitman arm puller from autozone. except i kept using the "loaner tool" pitman arma so much that i just bought my own.

stock pitman drops about an 1" and im pretty sure you have a drop pitman arm.

That's what i wanted to know, if i could rent one from autozone. Thanks RJ and Maniak.

That's what i wanted to know, if i could rent one from autozone. Thanks RJ and Maniak.

i think the torque spec is pretty high on the pitman arm, so you might have to rent a big torque wrench

i think the torque spec is pretty high on the pitman arm, so you might have to rent a big torque wrench

I'll add that to the list.:thumbsup:

also, do you have a manual for your explorer? like a haynes, chiltons, or the factory ford repair manual? if you don't, i have one you could borrow. has every torque spec in the car

also, do you have a manual for your explorer? like a haynes, chiltons, or the factory ford repair manual? if you don't, i have one you could borrow. has every torque spec in the car

Actually i do have a haynes, i just always forget i have it.

:thumbsup:

Limit straps are good.
Shocks are secure and finally doin their job.
Front end is more level although i still think it needs a bit more adjusting...but good for now.
Bumpstops are on but i probably wont need them.

Still left for the weekend...
Exhaust getting done tomorrow hopefully
Steering on saturday
Still waiting for the t-case shift motor, will go on immediately.
Install front tow hooks

Then i'll just clean her up a bit and she'll be ready.

I drove the ex for about 15 or 20 minutes today and it drives real nice. It gets up to speed pretty quick and feels adequately powered to maintain speed, and it feels pretty stable even without a front swaybar. Can hardly wait to get out to truckhaven!

Now should i take RJ up on the offer to trade even for the Navajo? :scratch: ;)

you mean take justin up on the offer?

Haha, right.

Well i'm not sure what to do...i got the brand new shift motor in the mail today, spent some time putting it on, and i still don't have 4WD. WTF? I guess i'll start a thread about it.

Back