movement when coming to complete stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

movement when coming to complete stop

akvanden

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
So I can't figure this out. My 01 explorer feels like something is "shifting" or moving just as I come to a complete stop. I can sometimes feel it again just as I start to accelerate. It almost feels like something has tension on it coming to a stop and as soon as I'm at a complete stop it 'moves' back into place. If I had to guess, I would have thought it was coming from the brakes like a caliper coming loose but I checked those and they seem secure... plus I don't hear anything rattling when going over bumps or anything. I honestly can't tell if it's coming from the front or the back and it's starting to aggravate me. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a dry drive shaft slip yoke. There is a TSB on this. Sometimes you can feel a thump through the floorboards and also when taking off from a stop. Requires remove and dissassemble the slip yoke. Clean out all grease and replace with a new grease from Ford.

Sounds like a dry drive shaft slip yoke. There is a TSB on this. Sometimes you can feel a thump through the floorboards and also when taking off from a stop. Requires remove and dissassemble the slip yoke. Clean out all grease and replace with a new grease from Ford.

Yuppers. Mine's been doing it for years... Too lazy to tear it apart. :)

Back