• Register Today It's free!

MPG..any helping

ArrowEric

Reaction score
City, State
Allison Park PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' Explorer Sport
Hey folks..I just purchased a 02' Sport with 199k on the clock and I'm getting around 15mpg mostly 40-50 mph driving with moderate start/stop driving. Any ideas what would be a good place to start to try to get a few more mpg? I was going to throw a tune up on the truck today...I have no idea when it was done last. It seems to run well for the milage....I paid $2600 for it after it was traded in to the GM dealer I work at. Loaded with leather and moonroof...decent deal?...Thanks Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try cleaning the MAF sensor. Check air filter, tire pressure and make sure you don't have a bad wheel bearing or a dragging brake caliper.

Great deal!

Hey folks..I just purchased a 02' Sport with 199k on the clock and I'm getting around 15mpg mostly 40-50 mph driving with moderate start/stop driving. Any ideas what would be a good place to start to try to get a few more mpg? I was going to throw a tune up on the truck today...I have no idea when it was done last. It seems to run well for the milage....I paid $2600 for it after it was traded in to the GM dealer I work at. Loaded with leather and moonroof...decent deal?...Thanks Eric[/QUOTE]

Just make sure the sunroof doesn't leak... Don't tell me you got dual power seats? :D Sounds like you got a great deal!

No passenger power..just lumbar. Single disc/cass ...moonroof is dry as a bone:D......255/7016's ...I've never been a Ford guy ...I have a 99' Sierra ext cab long bed with 255k on the clock so the high milage did'nt scare me. Actually I found a business card from the past owner of the X and I called him. He said he missed it and wished he would have had it till 200k...he said he had nothing but good luck with it. I plan on driving it during the winter months and sparingly in the summer since I use my GMC to tow my enclosed race car trailer (80` Plymouth Arrow tube chassis IHRA SR car)....So far so good with the X...but I would like to see if I could squeek a few more mpg out of it since the tank is so much smaller than the 34 gallon tank on the truck:)

Sounds like you do mostly city driving with it. You are not going to get a whole lot better than what you are showing. A tune up would not hurt though and it may get you an extra 1 or 2 mpg.

Back
Top Bottom