• Register Today It's free!

Muffler Question

Zoose

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4.0 Sport 4x4
Okay, so I have an '02 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC. I've been looking at the Flowmaster 40 mufflers, but I don't know what size the stock pipes are it's a pain to measure them. I know you can make your pipes bigger but I'm still confused if they are 2.25 or 2.5.

My stock muffler is 20.5" long and for some reason I haven't found any Flowmaster 40's that are that long. If I got a shop to weld my muffler on, would they have to replace the whole pipe behind the muffler so the new one would fit, or are there ones the same size as my stock one?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your pipe is 2.25 and the just add piping to one end of the new muffler.

Okay awesome thanks bud.

The reason you haven't found a FM 40 that long is because a FM 40 is meant to be loud. A longer case would make for a quieter muffler and a shorter case is to make it louder. Something closer to stock size would be a FM 70 which I have. It's a good step up from stock, but not loud enough to ever wish it was quiet. I can post some videos of mine if you want.

I tried the whole YouTube exhaust thing but you can't truly judge how loud it is. I didn't know the 40 was that loud either. I'm thinking of getting stainless
piping after the muffler instead of them piecing a little piece in there. and I would have them remove the resonator as well but
if the fm 40 is that loud it gives me second guesses.

I tried the whole YouTube exhaust thing but you can't truly judge how loud it is. I didn't know the 40 was that loud either. I'm thinking of getting stainless
piping after the muffler instead of them piecing a little piece in there. and I would have them remove the resonator as well but
if the fm 40 is that loud it gives me second guesses.

What a person considers loud is different for everyone. I for one wouldn't put a FM 40 on because it would be too loud for me. That's why I'm happy with my FM 70. A FM 50 would be kinda the sweet spot if you don't want too loud, but still want to draw attention.

I really need to do a sound clip with my dad's stock exhaust Explorer and then another with mine so that a comparison can be shown.

What a person considers loud is different for everyone. I for one wouldn't put a FM 40 on because it would be too loud for me. That's why I'm happy with my FM 70. A FM 50 would be kinda the sweet spot if you don't want too loud, but still want to draw attention.

I really need to do a sound clip with my dad's stock exhaust Explorer and then another with mine so that a comparison can be shown.

that would be awesome if you could post up some videos, I cant decide what series I want to go but Im thinking 70 as well..

Now are 70s the same size as stock or a little smaller? And if you could do a vid that would be awesome. Also do you guys recommend moving the resonator after the muffler or no?

that is a heat shield buddy

These are my old vids. Nothing new has been done, but I'd like to get some updated ones and more specifically a comparison between mine and a stock one.

My exhaust consist of: 3rd cat or resonator(whatever it's called) removed, single 2.5" piping run in stock configuration with a FM 70.

Now remember, a FM 70 is about as quiet as you can get with a FM muffler. My exhaust will be a tad louder than if you were to just replace the muffler. If you want more sound, then a 50 or even 40 series would be what you need.

Quick rev-
th_101_1220.jpg

WOT run
th_101_1311.jpg

A few more vids here- http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/limited02/videos/

heres a fm 40 on my 4.0

th_VIDEO0009.jpg

Appreciate the video posts guys

previous owners of my 01 sport had the 70 series flowmasters and it sounded to quiet i got rid of them and put the 40 series and i love how it sounds.

i need to get a sound clip of it one of these days.

Back